This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0001 / 56°0'0"N
Longitude: -3.7863 / 3°47'10"W
OS Eastings: 288691
OS Northings: 680017
OS Grid: NS886800
Mapcode National: GBR 1K.TTKY
Mapcode Global: WH5QZ.TG52
Entry Name: Lint Riggs, East Side (Odd Nos) 32-34 High Street and New Market Bar Newmarket Street
Listing Date: 25 October 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 372415
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31197
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Falkirk South
Traditional County: Stirlingshire
End sections by A and W Black, with shallow two-storey, three-light oriel windows rising from shopfronts cornice. Corner turrets corbelled out at first floor. The northwest corner turret has a cornice with carved panels of a shamrock, thistle and rose and is topped by a ogee-dome and cupola.
Central section (Nos. 5-15) is a Masonic Hall, designed by Thomas Copland. End bays flanked by giant Ionic pilasters, centre bay with fluted Corinthian columns topped by open segmental pediment with a urn finial. Tympanum carved with masonic symbols. Gibbsian surrounds to the windows. Those to the centre and end bays have pediments, the other windows are corniced with cartouches dated 1876 and 1906.
Planned by David Ronald, Burgh Engineer, in 1903 (perspective by Alexander McGibbon in Burgh Engineer s office). A and W Black following the elevations prescribed in 1903. The Corinthian masonic hall section, by Thomas Copland, at Nos. 5-15 is a departure from the original design. The cartouches above the windows are dated 1876 (for the foundation of the lodge) and 1906 (for the completion of the building). It was built for Lodge Callendar No 588, the second lodge of freemasons to be established in the town.
Other nearby listed buildings