History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Callendar Park, Glenbrae Lodge and Gates

A Category B Listed Building in Falkirk, Falkirk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9918 / 55°59'30"N

Longitude: -3.7886 / 3°47'19"W

OS Eastings: 288524

OS Northings: 679093

OS Grid: NS885790

Mapcode National: GBR 1K.VDTW

Mapcode Global: WH5QZ.SN2G

Entry Name: Callendar Park, Glenbrae Lodge and Gates

Listing Date: 25 October 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 372460

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31235

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Falkirk

County: Falkirk

Town: Falkirk

Electoral Ward: Falkirk South

Traditional County: Stirlingshire

Find accommodation in
Falkirk

Description

Circa 1835. Single-storey, lozenge plan with canted ends, stugged ashlar front to road with 2-light openings and keyhole slits, broad eaved roof, slated, tapered octagonal chimney shafts. Panelled gatepiers. Late addition on north.

Statement of Interest

A-Group comprises 'Callendar House' (HB 31236), and the associated 'Callendar House, Small Bridge on South Axis of House' (HB 31237), 'Callendar House Sundial' (HB 31238), 'Stable Court, Including Cobbled Yard' (HB 31239), 'Stable Block Including Dovecot, Cobbled Yard, Implement Shed, Boundary Walls and Gates' (HB 46544), 'Factor's House' (HB 46545), 'Dry Bridge' (HB 31240), 'Mausoleum' (HB 31241), 'Atrium House (Former Gardener's Cottage), Including Gatepiers' (HB 50224), 'Kennels' (HB 50894), 'Policy Walls' (HB 50896) and 'Wellhead' (HB 50897), see separate entries.

Callendar House and its associated buildings are the grandest and most prominent group of buildings in Falkirk. The Lands of Callendar were granted to the Livingston family in the mid-14th century, and they retained possession of the estate for nearly 400 years. The estate was forfeited to the Government after the Jacobite rising in 1715, who in turn sold on the estate. Callendar came to be bought by William Forbes in the late 18th century, a copper merchant from London, who continued to develop the mansion and the estate. It was the Forbes family who brought the celebrated architect David Hamilton to work on Callendar, and they were also instrumental benefactors to the development of Falkirk as a modern 19th century town. The estate remained in the possession of the Forbes family until 1963, when it was sold to the now defunct Falkirk Burgh Council. The Burgh Council were responsible for planning the high-rise housing within Callendar Park, and also the development of the walled garden as a College of Education (now the Callendar Business Park). However they did no work on the House, which remained derelict and boarded-up until 1997, when it was restored by the present Council.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.