This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2523 / 56°15'8"N
Longitude: -3.2167 / 3°13'0"W
OS Eastings: 324708
OS Northings: 707306
OS Grid: NO247073
Mapcode National: GBR 27.B393
Mapcode Global: WH6R7.K3FR
Entry Name: House of Falkland Estate, Crichton-Stuart Memorial Chapel
Listing Date: 12 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 372585
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31352
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Howe of Fife and Tay Coast
Traditional County: Fife
Reginald Fairlie, begun 1912, dated 1916. Unfinished, 4-bay, gothic, roofless, crenallated and buttressed memorial chapel, situated on small rise within House of Falkland Estate. Squared and snecked grey sandstone with ashlar margins. Deep base course with moulded band course above. Machicolated moulded cornice with semi-circular corbel brackets beneath. Stepped side and corner buttresses, some with pyramidal caps. Chamfered tripartitie window openings; elaborate tracery. Waterspouts.
WEST ELEVATION (ENTRANCE): near symmetrical. Central round-arched entrance doorway, slightly advanced, with decorative iron gate and moulded hood-mould; flanking buttresses; dated 1916 above left. Segmental-arched window opening above, flanked by pair of empty niches.
NORTH ELEVATION: advanced 2-bay section to left.
EAST ELEVATION: buttressed, with no openings.
SOUTH ELEVATION: Crow-stepped gable to far right.
INTERIOR: nave and aisle, 4-bays. Rubble walls. Round- and pointed- arched openings. Ashlar piers. Several family memorial plaques.
This is an early 20th century memorial chapel, designed by one of Scotland's leading architects for one of Scotland's leading families. Situated on a small rise within House of Falkland Estate, the chapel is a focal point within the landscape and an important part of the wider designed landscape. Although left incomplete, the chapel was intended to be a private memorial chapel for the Crichton Stuart family, but was left unfinished after the death of Lord Ninian Crichton Stuart in 1915.
The history of the House of Falkland Estate is linked to that of nearby Falkland Palace, which lies immediately to the east. In its present form, the estate dates from the early 19th century when it was acquired by John Bruce when he became Keeper of the Palace of Falkland in 1821. During his time at the estate, Bruce improved the lands around the existing estate house, Nuthill House (now demolished), built the Stables (see separate listing), and cascades and bridges were erected over the Mill and Maspie Burns.
On his death in 1826, his niece Margaret Bruce inherited the Estate. She married Onesiphorus Tyndall Bruce in 1828 and they made the decision to demolish Nuthill House and to build a new residence. The architect for the new house was William Burn and the house was built in 1839-44. They also laid out the formal garden around the house. The 3rd Marquis of Bute then bought the Estate in 1887 and he employed Robert Weir Schultz and William Frame to carry out interior work in the House. He also completed some Arts & Crafts landscaping to the estate including building the Fishpond and Bridges at East Lodge (see separate listings). The House of Falkland is currently a school (2011).
Reginald Fairlie (1883-1952) was born in Fife and based himself in Edinburgh. A devout Roman Catholic, much of his work is religious in nature and includes a number of Roman Catholic Churches throughout Scotland. Born into an aristocratic family, he also carried out many commissions for country estates, including
(List description updated 2011).
Other nearby listed buildings