This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8951 / 55°53'42"N
Longitude: -4.3219 / 4°19'18"W
OS Eastings: 254907
OS Northings: 669323
OS Grid: NS549693
Mapcode National: GBR 046.ZH
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.L352
Entry Name: 380 Bearsden Road, Canal Restaurant (Former Robinson Dunn Offices)
Listing Date: 17 November 1992
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373618
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32170
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Drumchapel/Anniesland
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Probably George Laird of John Laird and Son, circa 1938. 2- and 3-storey (part as basement to road) Modern Movement office block with principal entrance on higher level to road. Red brick with concrete lintel bands.
NW ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay entrance block to road with storey below. Brick porch in taller bay to centre with brick reeding to chamfered surround and with recessed door approached by steps, flat concrete canopy above supporting engaged circular tower with tall window , concrete coping ring above window and parapet. Regular windows flanking
SW AND NE ELEVATIONS: return of taller entrance block towards front with oculus to upper floor to SW and narrow window to NE. 4 lower, 3-storey bays to centre with paired windows to rear, windows to front and narrower windows to penultimate bays. 2-storey rear block with 4 windows (spaced 1-3) to each floor SW and 3 to NE.
SE ELEVATION: sliding machinery door at ground centre with row of 4 narrow windows to floor above, grouped to left.
Horizontal-pane, metal glazing, 3-pane uppers with pivoting pane at centre. Boarded timber, 2-leaf doors.
INTERIOR: not seen 1996.
Survives from former Robinson Dunn mill, the Temple Saw Mills, founded in 1874 by Robinson Dunn. The offices feature up-to-date motifs for the period. The timber sheds and offices in the adjoining sawmill yards remain in situ (1995). Sympathetic 1 and 2 storey extension to the north added by Nicoll Russell of Dundee (1998) as part of conversion to Canal restaurant and microbrewery.
Other nearby listed buildings