This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8699 / 55°52'11"N
Longitude: -4.2723 / 4°16'20"W
OS Eastings: 257915
OS Northings: 666419
OS Grid: NS579664
Mapcode National: GBR 0HH.1J
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.BQTD
Entry Name: 44 Ashley Street Woodside Public School, Albany Annexe
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373633
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32175
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably H & D Barclay architects; circa 1875. Renaissance villa style building with lower wing to rear and 1902 extension to South. 2 storeys, attics and basement. Polished ashlar, channelled at basement. Main facade 3-bay with advanced centre (entrance) bay: steps oversailing basement to distyle Roman Doric porch with coped parapet over; single architraved window above.
Architraved ground floor windows flank medallions with high relief sculpted heads. 1st floor windows in groups of 3, recessed in common architrave and divided by pilasters with foliate capitals. Flanks similarly treated but 1st floor windows set behind 6-bay pilastrade. South elevation interrupted by 1902 addition. 3-pane glazing pattern. Continuous heavy string course over ground and heavy band course at 1st
floor cills. Eaves course, painted mutule cornice with central pediment. Wallhead stacks with scroll and anthemion decoration. Axial stacks, piended slate roof.
Rear wing 2-storey with single store aisle. Polished ashlar with chamfered windows. Architraved baroque doorpiece with open pediment on consoles and bold keystone. Upper storey with mullioned windows; eaves
supported on brackets.
1902 addition to south, broadly similar but plainer in detail. Facade to Carnarvon Street pedimented with 1902 datestone. School yard with low boundary wall supporting with good cast-iron railings and gates.
Formerly Albany Academy.
Other nearby listed buildings