This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8748 / 55°52'29"N
Longitude: -4.2798 / 4°16'47"W
OS Eastings: 257464
OS Northings: 666972
OS Grid: NS574669
Mapcode National: GBR 0FF.JT
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.7L8P
Entry Name: Great Western Road Bridge over River Kelvin
Listing Date: 20 May 1986
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373725
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32197
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Bell and Miller, engineers; Morrison and Mason, contractors; Sir W Arrol, iron and steel work. Begun April 1890, opened September 1891. 4-span depressed arch cast-iron road bridge; 2 main arches spanning
River Kelvin, 2 smaller outer arches over banks; eastern most spans South Woodside Road to which it is linked by a scale and platt stair. Abutments, piers and approach walls of red and grey granite; ribs to spans and parapets of cast-iron. Square of octagonal engaged pillars with foliate capitals support crenellated parapet enclosing top of pier. Main span 9 ribs; outermost with nailhead detail to archring arris, traceried spandrels and City of Glasgow arms; 6 ribs to subsidiary arches. Cast-iron traceried parapet linking crenellated piers; latter with polished red granite plaque commemorating official opening of the bridge.
Stairway to South Woodside Road - stone scale and platt stair with traceried parapet supported on cast-iron columns.
Built on the site of a previous bridge (1840) fragments of the piers of the old structure survive. Total cost of new bridge £38,578. Granite from Kemnay and Corennie.
Other nearby listed buildings