History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

300 Great Western Road/Holyrood Crescent St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral

A Category A Listed Building in Hillhead, Glasgow

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8736 / 55°52'24"N

Longitude: -4.275 / 4°16'29"W

OS Eastings: 257760

OS Northings: 666827

OS Grid: NS577668

Mapcode National: GBR 0GG.H7

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.9MKM

Entry Name: 300 Great Western Road/Holyrood Crescent St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 373726

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32198

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Hillhead

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

George Gilbert Scott, architect, 1871-8. Spire by John Oldrid Scott, completed 1893. Cruciform aisled church with early English detailing, simple tracery. Stugged and snecked ashlar wallings, polished freestone ashlar margins. 5-bay nave with angle buttressed aisles; round clerestory windows linked by blind arcade. West front: 3 tall lancets above pointed-arch portal surmounted by 3 gablets; recessed paired cusp-head doors. 5 plate tracery aisle windows. Corbel course at eaves; slate roofs. Tower in SE angle; 3 main stages with angle buttresses. Lowest stage plain with lancet windows; 2nd stage with lancets in groups of 3. 3rd stage with plate tracery louvered openings; deep band of ornamental diaper work in spandrels. Above this, corbel table with parapet and bartizans at angles. Above rises facetted spire; lowest part with slender window lucarnes at cardinal points. At angles, lucarnes with sculptured figures of saints. Spire tapers to a point under ball finial and metal cross. Interior: 5-arch arcade on piers/clustered columns separate nave from aisles. Open timber roof; trusses rest on engaged stone columns. Crossing with fan-vaulted roof. Octagonal ashlar pulpit supported on polished granite colonnettes; font on marble base, also with octagonal ashlar basin on polished granite colonnettes; elaborate carved oak canopy over font. Organ in S transept; wrought-iron chancel screen. Carved oak reredos by R Lorimer with painted panels by Phoebe Traquair, circa 1920-21. Stained glass, circa 1880 John Hardman and Co London and Birmingham.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Raised to Cathedral status in 1907. Completed at a cost of $35,000.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.