This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8688 / 55°52'7"N
Longitude: -4.2756 / 4°16'32"W
OS Eastings: 257703
OS Northings: 666296
OS Grid: NS577662
Mapcode National: GBR 0GH.CY
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.9R79
Entry Name: 4-19 (Inclusive) Lynedoch Crescent and 6, 18, 20, 22, Lynedoch Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373808
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32221
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
George Smith, architect; 1845-48. Classical crescent
arranged round D-shaped garden, and continuing into
Lynedoch Street. 2 storeys and attics over basement
with 3-storey inner and terminal pavilions. 6, 18, 22
and 24 Lynedoch Street detailed as terminal pavilions.
3-bay elevation per house. Polished ashlar, painted or
stonecleaned; channelled at ground at terminal
pavilions. Steps oversailing basement to architraved
doorpieces with consoled cornice, fanlights and
pilastered reveals. Inner pavilions with paired Greek
Doric porches. Outer pavilions, door with pilastered
reveals and fanlights. Ground floor windows of crescent
architraved and aproned with consoled cornices. All
upper windows architraved, corniced at 1st floor. Sash
windows; mostly 4-pane or plate-glass glazing. Continuous
string course over ground and at 1st floor cills (except
at inner pavilions). Cill bands at 2nd floor of
pavilions; eaves cornice; blocking course. Roof
balustrade at Nos 10 and 11. Axial stacks, slate roofs.
Cast-iron railings to basement and steps. Blocked door
between Nos 16 and 17; basement steps removed; possibly
late 19th century alteration. Good interior plasterwork
for example at No 7; Corinthian pilasters and column
screen; elaborate cast iron balusters to staircase. An
attic floor was added to No 9 by John A Campbell, 1902.
Gardens to crescent enclosed by low ashlar wall.
Part of A group with Woodlands Hill.
No 9 was the home of a number of Glasgow merchants
including Peter Clouston 1848-61, John Jarvie 1866-83
Matthew Pearce Campbell 1883-1925 (cousin of Henry
Campbell Bannerman). Restored 1987-88 by Gordon Murray
of Cunningham Glass.
Category change A to B 20.5.86.
Other nearby listed buildings