This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8681 / 55°52'5"N
Longitude: -4.2793 / 4°16'45"W
OS Eastings: 257469
OS Northings: 666227
OS Grid: NS574662
Mapcode National: GBR 0FJ.M6
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.7RHT
Entry Name: 1-6 (Inclusive Nos) Park Gardens and Park Gardens Lane
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373936
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32240
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Charles Wilson, architect; circa 1855. Astylar
Italianate terrace of 6 houses, each with 2-bay
elevation with full-height bay windows, linked by cast-
iron balconies. 3-storeys, attic and basement; polished
ashlar, channelled at ground, mostly painted or stone-
cleaned. Wide flights of steps, with pierced and
scrolled stone parapets oversailing basement, to
tripartite doorpieces. All ground floor openings
tripartite with pilastered reveals and mullions. Ground
floor bay windows square; canted at upper floors. All
other windows architraved; consoled and corniced at 1st
floor. Sash windows; plate-glass or 4-pane glazing. Band
courses over ground and 2nd floors. Eaves cornice; plain
parapet with sculpted shell decoration over bay
windows; otherwise roof balustrade. Axial stacks, slate
roofs. Cast-iron railings to basement area.
7-bay flank to East, 5-bay flank to West; both with
centre 3 bays shallow advanced with roof balustrade
over: otherwise deep plain parapet (that to East with
incised decoration). Rear elevation with full-height
projecting square bays.
Interiors: elaborate cornice plasterwork; Corinthian
screens to ground floor. Good cast-iron balusters
with carved wood newel posts. No 1, circa 1900 upper
door panels of wrought-iron; curved inner door and
Park Gardens Lane; mews range combines as retaining
wall, droved ashlar. Vehicle openings at ground, loft
windows at 1st floor and dwarf gallery above. Corniced
stacks treated as piers; some slit ventilators. Nos 1
and 2 (rear No 2 Park Gardens) John J Burnet, architect;
1906. Stables with servant accommodation over. Ground
floor, modern window alterations. Polished ashlar; huge
lugged architrave frames ground and 1st floors. Deeply
recessed opening at ground, balcony above, roll moulded
surround. Cast-iron bombe section balustrade to balcony
with grotesque-headed handrail.
Balustraded roof parapet linking wallhead stacks.
Part of Woodlands Hill A Group.
Upgraded B to A 20.5.86
Other nearby listed buildings