This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8746 / 55°52'28"N
Longitude: -4.3356 / 4°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 253968
OS Northings: 667071
OS Grid: NS539670
Mapcode National: GBR 02F.6V
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.CLNT
Entry Name: Former Whiteinch Baths (Central 5 Bays of 1920s Building), 138-142 Medwyn Street, Glasgow
Listing Date: 10 July 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374157
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32278
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Victoria Park
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Office of Public Works 1923- 26. 3-storey, 5-bay Edwardian Baroque central section of former Whiteinch Baths. Converted to housing in 2008, the central pavilion remains. Central portico with keyblocked elliptically-headed fanlight, segmental pediment with mutules. 1st floor with 5 windows simple cornice, piended roof. Lead cupola with squared bell stage and dormer.
Red brick and cream ashlar dressings. Continuous 1st floor cornice, entablature; multipane timber windows.
Whiteinch Public Baths was constructed between 1923 and 1926 by the Office of Public Works and opened on 28 October 1926. It was once a much larger complex that had two swimming pools, including additional baths for women and men, and a Turkish bath. The retained central pavilion of the baths makes a good contribution to the streetscape, and is rare as a building type as not many early 20th century baths now survive. The unusual brick and Edwardian Baroque style represents a well-detailed example of civic architecture, and it continues to makes an important contribution to an area of the city which has been largely redeveloped. The baths closed in the 1990s and were vacant until redeveloped into housing in 2008.
Swimming clubs and bath houses were established in Scotland from the 1850s following the enactment of the 1846 Act to Encourage the Establishment of Public Baths and Wash-houses, which was established to improve general public health with access for all classes of citizen. With the rapid expansion of urban population, often living and working in unsanitary conditions, bath and wash houses were seen as essential public services. The Act, which affected the whole of Britain, encouraged local authorities to open up these facilities in areas of dense population. While men and women did not mix at these facilities, women would have had their own separate entrance, however they would have to attend at certain times when the male pools were not in use. It would not be until the 1870s when separate ladies pools were being considered in bath and wash house design. These bath and wash houses soon started to cater for recreational swimming rather than washing and became a hugely popular social past time during the 20th century.
List description updated and category changed from B to C as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-2013).
Other nearby listed buildings