History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

8 and 16 Queen Victoria Drive, Dumbarton Road, Scotstoun West Church and Hall, (Church of Scotland)

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8795 / 55°52'46"N

Longitude: -4.3509 / 4°21'3"W

OS Eastings: 253033

OS Northings: 667651

OS Grid: NS530676

Mapcode National: GBR 3N.2N02

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.4HD1

Entry Name: 8 and 16 Queen Victoria Drive, Dumbarton Road, Scotstoun West Church and Hall, (Church of Scotland)

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 374158

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32279

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Garscadden/Scotstounhill

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Renfrew

Description

CHURCH: James Chalmers, dated 1905. Hall: Stewart and Paterson 1929. Scots medieval Romanesque revival; cruciform with nave, chancel, apse, transepts and central tower with set back, tiled spire. Red snecked

rubble, dressed for buttresses and plinth.

MAIN ENTRANCE in gabled porch to SW, round-arched with incised archivolt, blind niche over, cross finial. Further N ENTRANCE in projecting section with cat-slide roof and arched doowary, 3 narrow

lights over. Round-arched S (liturgical W) windows with geometric tracery, sculpted group in niche over. Transept with narrow arched windows. Large, buttressed square tower over crossing; simple 2-light windows with plate tracery; set back tiled spire with gabletted

lucarnes. Apse with arched windows. Extensive halls to N, simple detailing, central round-arched entrance.

INTERIOR: transept galleries. Machicolated apse cornice. Carved timber dado, pulpit, communion table. Tower with painted ceiling (Ss iconography), sculpted figures on corbels to each face; wagon roof to nave and transept galleries.

3 stained glass windows in S transept and in apse by Douglas Hamilton.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Hall demolished 12 September 1996, following wilful fire-raising.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.