This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8836 / 55°53'0"N
Longitude: -4.3192 / 4°19'9"W
OS Eastings: 255030
OS Northings: 668034
OS Grid: NS550680
Mapcode National: GBR 05B.JN
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.MCFX
Entry Name: 1055 Great Western Road Gartnavel Royal Hospital, Garden, Boundary and Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 374266
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32318
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Charles Wilson, architect, 1841-3. Large Tudor style hospital
in 2 detached E-plan ranges set at right angles; 2 or 3
storeys; attics and basements. More elaborate W range for
wealthy patients, E range for the less fortunate, and
correspondingly plainer. Both of stugged ashlar with
polished margins and dressings; stonecleaned.
W RANGE: symmetrical N facade of 35 bays arranged with 11-bay
2-storey blocks with 3-bay 3-storey end pavilions. 7-bay
3-storey central paviion (containing Superintendent's flat)
rising to 4-storey tower over entrance. 4-centred arched
portals at pavilions with square-headed hoodmoulds and mask
label-stops (portrait heads of Victoria and Albert to centre).
Recessed architraved tripartite doorpiece to central pavilion
with glazed lights. All windows in roll-moulded reveals and
hood moulds. Single or bipartite with transoms and mullions;
tripartite at pavilions flanked by buttresses rising to tall
Continuous roll-moulding at cills, deep plain parapet at eaves,
tall linked axial Tudor stacks. Flanks detailed as above.
REAR ELEVATION: coursed stugged ashlar; single light windows
with some full-height canted oriels. Linking flanks, tall
coursed rubble walls to gardens.
INTERIOR: central pavilion includes superintendent's private
apartments; private garden to rear. Wings (separate male and
female accommodation) with small private chambers opening off
wide galleries, some with original 3-arch timber screens.
E RANGE: 21 bays arranged with 3-bay 3-storey end pavilions
and 5-bay 3-storey central pavilions. Details as above except hood-moulds only to ground floor and label stops of doorpiece
simple blocks. S flank with 2 small ogee-domed pavilions
linking tall coursed rubble garden wall to S, (airing ground).
INTERIOR: with large dormitories, few smaller rooms off.
Large dining hall, now modernised.
Built as Royal Lunatic Asylum. Part of Gartnavel Royal B
Other nearby listed buildings