History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

994 Great Western Road "Ravelston" and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8831 / 55°52'59"N

Longitude: -4.304 / 4°18'14"W

OS Eastings: 255976

OS Northings: 667953

OS Grid: NS559679

Mapcode National: GBR 08B.LT

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.VDM8

Entry Name: 994 Great Western Road "Ravelston" and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 10 July 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 374281

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32332

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

John Gordon, architect, circa 1875. Classic polished ashlar

villa with additions in Tudor style by H O Tarbolton, 1910.

Original villa; 2 storeys, attic and basement.

3-bay elevation with steps oversailing basement to painted

ashlar tripartite doorpiece with fanlight. Sidelights and door

with small pane glazing, solid parapet to steps. Above door,

single sash.

Flanking door, full-height square projecting windows with

pilastered mullions and continuous entablature, plate glass

sashes. Continuous detail cornice over ground. Timber mutule

eaves. Centrally placed bow dormer flanked by tall corniced

axial stacks. Slate roofs.

E flank and rear stugged ashlar.

To W and rear, full-height additions by H O Tarbolton to give

oratory with traceried bipartite lancets (facing E), nursery accommodation and further service quarters to rear. Polished

ashlar front elevation with full-height canted window to

left, bipartites to right, all mullioned and transomed with

small pane leaded glazing. Stugged ashlar rear with canted

entrance projection at left.

Deep parapet, tall corniced wallhead stacks.

Interior now largely altered.

Low coped boundary wall with tall square ashlar gatepiers

to E.

Statement of Interest

Part of Great Western Road A group. Hipped glazed porch added

by Simpson and Farmer, architects, 1894, plans in S R Archives

D of G: 1/3563; now demolished. Bishop Reid engaged Tarbolton

to carry out alterations circa 1910, he later worked on St

Brides Episcopal Church, Hyndland Road.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.