History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

28 Woodend Drive Jordanhill Parish Church, Church of Scotland

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8854 / 55°53'7"N

Longitude: -4.3291 / 4°19'44"W

OS Eastings: 254420

OS Northings: 668259

OS Grid: NS544682

Mapcode National: GBR 039.JZ

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.GBRJ

Entry Name: 28 Woodend Drive Jordanhill Parish Church, Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 374302

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32347

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Victoria Park

Traditional County: Renfrewshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

James Miller, architect, 1904-5. W aisle circa 1922. English perpendicular style church with flamboyant tracery. Stugged

and snecked ashlar with polished margins and quoins. Church

orientated S-N (alter at N). 5-bay nave; tower at SE.

Main S elevation buttressed and gabled; aisle and nave

attached to tower by buttresses. At ground of nave, 3

bipartite lights; above, large 4-centred arched window with

hood moulded and panel tracery.

To left, buttressed gable to aisle with pointed arch

doorway and traceried window above.

To right short square bell tower with angle buttresses

rising in 2 stages; hood mould door to base; at upper stage

traceried louvred openings, deep crenellated parapet

with pinnacles at angles.

5-bay nave with buttresses flanking bipartite traceried lights

set in square headed roll-moulded panels.

To N; large hall and offices built circa 1922 and extended

1956. Brick hall with single storey rendered wing to rear.

Church surrounded by low coped stugged ashlar wall supporting

low modern cast-iron railings.

INTERIOR: 5-bay W aisle separated from nave by pointed arch

arcade supported on clustered columns. Gallery to S entered

from stair at E end of aisle. Gallery front panelled;

pews of pine. Oak carved communion table and pulpit. Organ

in reredos. Chancel floor level raised slightly circa 1979.

Stained glass to N gable large 3-light window artificially

lit (hall encloses N gable) with small "Burning Bush" window

at apex. Hammerbeam roof.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.