History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

79 Hyndland Road, Hyndland Parish Church, Church of Scotland

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8791 / 55°52'44"N

Longitude: -4.3053 / 4°18'19"W

OS Eastings: 255881

OS Northings: 667507

OS Grid: NS558675

Mapcode National: GBR 08D.B7

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.VH0C

Entry Name: 79 Hyndland Road, Hyndland Parish Church, Church of Scotland

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375041

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32532

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

William Leiper, architect; 1886. Simple Gothic cruciform church; nave and aisles with transepts and chancel, projected tower to N, incomplete above elaborate porch. Bull-faced red ashlar with polished quoins, margins and dressings, buttressed aisles and angles. Large pointed arch windows with moulded reveals, hood-moulds andd geometric tracery. Pointed arch portal to SW with nook shafts supporting hollow chamfer moulding and cusped soffit. Recessed trefoil-headed door with decorative studded hinges. SE door with roll-moulded surround, gabled with cusped tympanum resting in elaborately carved corbels.

Interior with nave separated from aisles by pointed arcade of clustered columns with foliate capitals. Open timber roof supported by engaged columns resting on figurative corbels. E window by Douglas Strachan 1921, designed as war memorial. Aisle windows by Douglas Hamilton circa 1940; Gordon Webster circa 1960; and Sax Shaw 1969. Chancel and choir stalls with carved and panelled oak; polychrome marble altar table supported on colonnettes with carved reredos flanked by figures of Saints in niches. Elaborate octagonal polychrome marble and ashlar font and pulpit; latter with carved oak tester. Brass eagle lectern. Henry Willis organ, 1887 in N transept. Former Lady Chapel in S transept converted 1966 by I J Ballantine to Memorial Chapel, with modern furnishings and hanging lamps. Wrought-iron screens; window by William Wilson, 1962. Ornate wrought-iron lamps and lamp brackets by Starkie Gardner & Co and Taylor & Tucker, both of London.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.