History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 Queens Place (Westdel), 10 Kinnoul Lane and 10 Crown Road North, (Royston); with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8765 / 55°52'35"N

Longitude: -4.3 / 4°18'0"W

OS Eastings: 256202

OS Northings: 667207

OS Grid: NS562672

Mapcode National: GBR 09F.D5

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.XKJC

Entry Name: 2 Queens Place (Westdel), 10 Kinnoul Lane and 10 Crown Road North, (Royston); with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 28 July 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375272

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32579

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

George Washington Browne 1889-90. Large asymmetrical double villa. 2 storeys and

attics; coursed rock-faced ashlar, polished margins and

quoins. All sash windows with roll moulded reveals. Plate

glass or small pane glazing.

Royston; 2-bay elevation to Queen's Place. To left, 2-storey

square projecting 5-light window, mullioned and transomed

with plain parapet breaking wallhead. Single windows to

right.

Elevation to Crown Road North with gabled entrance bay to

centre. Steps to Doric porch; columns with exaggerated

entasis. Arched doorway with rusticated Gibbsian detail.

Above porch, 2-storey canted oriel, at 1st each light

individually corniced with shell pediment. Tall corniced

stack to left.

Westdel: 3-bay elevation to Queen's Place reflects Royston

with addition of full-height octagonal turret to left, rising

to facetted roof with finial. Steps to central doorway with

shouldered architrave, corniced, with fanlight flanked by

moulded pilasters. Date stone on side elevation with initials

RML and SMML.

Addition of 1896 and 1902 by A N Paterson; single storey and attic

wing providing service quarters. Interior; good panelling and

carved doorpieces, roll moulded fireplace. Timber stair

balusters with timber screen at 1st floor landing. Top-lit

billiard room to rear.

Both houses with bipartite dormers; at Westdel linked by

tile-hung infill with occulus. Timber bracketted eaves, swept

slate roofs.

Statement of Interest

Orginally built for Robert Maclehose. Not built precisely as per original drawings. Bedroom design for J Maclehose of Westdel by C R McIntosh

dismantled and transferred to Glasgow University collection

1976. Drawings and photographs in Billcliffe, 1979 pp 57-61.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.