History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

6, 6a and 6b Victoria Circus, (Kensington Tower), with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.879 / 55°52'44"N

Longitude: -4.301 / 4°18'3"W

OS Eastings: 256151

OS Northings: 667489

OS Grid: NS561674

Mapcode National: GBR 09D.68

Mapcode Global: WH3P1.XH2F

Entry Name: 6, 6a and 6b Victoria Circus, (Kensington Tower), with Boundary Walls and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 28 July 1987

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375307

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32593

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Partick

Description

Asymmetrical 2-storey Italianate picturesque villa with

companile at SE rising to 4-storeys. Original villa pre-1858

with extensive additions and alterations 1897-1900, 1897

Joseph Cowan, architect; single storey addition to W maids

quarters 1900, George Simpson; 2-storey additions to N and E

and remodelling of some windows. Stepped irregular T-plan

stugged painted ashlar walling with polished ashlar margins

and rusticated quoins.

S elevation 2-bay section with canted 2-storey window to

left; to right, at ground architraved, consoled, corniced

tripartite window, 2 architraved windows above. Elevation

stepped back to E with porch heightened to 2-storeys in 1900

to provide extra bathroom. Recessed timber panelled art

nouveau door. 4-storey campanile in re-entrant angle with

tall arched window to ground with consoled hood-mould. Narrow architraved lights to 1st and 2nd floors; 3rd floor, to all

elevations, paired round arched lights divided by columnar

mullion. Set back at extreme right, 2-storey 3-bay block with

tripartite windows, an addition of 1900.

N elevation partly remodelled in 1900; 5-light billiard room

window. To right advanced gabled bay with 3 arched windows

with continuous archivolt, divided by pilasters. To W single

storey addition of 1897; to 1st floor, canted oriel window.

Sash windows, plate glass glazing. Wide timber bracketted

eaves, elaborated at tower. Slate roofs; weathervane to

tower.

Stugged ashlar boundary wall with coping tall square corniced

ashlar gatepiers with chamfered arrises.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.