This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8815 / 55°52'53"N
Longitude: -4.3031 / 4°18'11"W
OS Eastings: 256028
OS Northings: 667772
OS Grid: NS560677
Mapcode National: GBR 08C.SC
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.WF2H
Entry Name: 52 Westbourne Gardens, Belhaven - Westbourne Church and Hall, Church of Scotland
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375386
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32605
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Honeyman, architect; 1881. Classical Renaissance church
with superimposed pedimented portico frontage. Polished
ashlar, banded masonry, stonecleaned.
E elevation; at ground, Ionic pilasters support dentil
pediment which is broken by 2-storey advanced pedimented
portico with 4-pairs of superimposed columns. Corinthian over
Ionic. At ground, smooth recessed round-arched panels with
bold keystones and rusticated margins contain square-headed
corniced windows, at centre double-leaf panelled doors. At
1st arched stained glass windows with pilastered reveals. Set
back and flanking main pediment are 2 small square open
arched bell-cotes with ogival lead roofs and iron finials.
To SE, single storey wing containing halls etc; detailed as
ground margins of main facade. Continuous dentil cornice with die-balustrade 5-bay flanks with round-arched windows to
upper level. Polished ashlar N flank with architraved,
consoled and pedimented door; cill strings. Droved ashlar S
flank with round arched gallery windows. Interior: aisleless
5-bay nave. Panel fronted gallery to 3 sides supported on
elaborately carved consoles and reached by stairs in towers.
Windows flanked by pilasters supporting deep coving; coffered
ceiling with iron beams painted and decorated with
plasterwork. Shallow organ recess flanked by Corinthian
columns and pilasters, organ 1913, with screen by Keppie.
Elaborately carved timber communion table, chairs and pulpit;
latter with walnut inlay. Stained glass by Douglas Strachan
circa 1920 and Margaret Chilton circa 1951. Flanking organ,
war memorial tablets.
To N and S stairs, memorial tablets to Dr R Drummond and Rev
W R Thomson.
Church halls to SE with timber ceiling and roof-lights.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Formerly UP church.
Part of Westbourne Gardens A group.
Other nearby listed buildings