This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8577 / 55°51'27"N
Longitude: -4.2528 / 4°15'10"W
OS Eastings: 259088
OS Northings: 665013
OS Grid: NS590650
Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.ZY
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.N118
Entry Name: 65-117 (Odd Nos) Argyle Street, Known As No 65 Argyle Street, Former Lewis's Department Store
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375392
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32609
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
G de Courcy Fraser and Clarke, Bell and J H Craigie,
1932-1949 construction of Lewis's Royal Polytechnic Ltd
warehouse for retail shopping (department store), in an
extensive, 1930s classical design, on site of former
premises; later additions at rear, and link with
St Enoch's shopping centre, Michael Haskoll Associates,
1988, accompanied by substantial reconstruction of
interior. 6-storey, attic, basement and sub-basement.
Ashlar Portland stone, brick rear with ashlar band and
attic, with steel sheet piling; polished granite aprons to
shop windows. Ashlar channelled at ground, at 1st floor
and in pilasters to 3rd floor. Plate glass display windows
at ground with bordered, blinded fascia lights; windows
to 1st floor and above glazed and bordered, small-pane
pattern in steel pivot casements.
N (ARGYLE STREET) ELEVATION: main facade symmetrical,
bays grouped 3-18-3, with entrances in splayed corner
bays; 15 shop windows at ground; wide doorway recesses
flanked by fluted Doric columns; single windows at 1st
floor; tripartite windows to corner bays and outer bays of
groups of 3 bays at 2nd floor. Pilasters dividing outer
bays to entablature level. 3rd floor detailed as 2nd, with
keystones and quasi-guttaed frieze above windows. 4th
and 5th floors with 2-storey arcade to centre 18 bays,
with windows to each bay at each floor, smaller at 5th;
geometric wrought-iron balcony rails. 3 bay groups with
single windows at centre to 4th floor and bipartites to
5th, flanked at both floors with tripartite windows;
Thomsonesque pediments above centre lights of 4th floor
windows, and smaller 5th floor windows. 4th and 5th
floors of corner bays with recessed window panel,
tripartites at both floor and balcony to centre light at 4th
floor. Fluted necks to pilasters; moulded cornice above
full entablature. Attic floor with architraved single
windows and tripartite to outer bays of groups of 3,
bearing minimalist pediments and guilloche carved frieze;
corner bays with single windows. Flat roof.
W (MAXWELL STREET) ELEVATION: 6-bay. Detailed as main
facade with lesser doorway in outer right bay; 4-bay
arcade to 4th and 5th floors and outer bays detailed as
E (DUNLOP STREET) ELEVATION: 8-bay. Detailed as main
facade with lesser doorway in outer left bay; 6-bay
arcade to 4th and 5th floors at centre; outer bays
detailed as above.
S (N DRIVE, FORMERLY CROY PLACE) ELEVATION: irregular and
asymmetrical. Ashlar cill course to 4th floor.
Rectangular projections, that to right of centre 3 bays
deep. Modern additions at ground to left and further
extensions, 1988. Ashlar attic raised above height of
other elevations in blank wall-plane.
Petition of 9 December 1932; work described in BUILDER as
"demolition and rebuilding scheme for Lewis's". Photographs
of 1920, and the plans of 1932, indicate that the former
Warehouse was completely demolished rather than absorbed in
part. Impressive proportions enhanced by simplicity and
repetition of details.
Other nearby listed buildings