This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8586 / 55°51'31"N
Longitude: -4.2428 / 4°14'34"W
OS Eastings: 259718
OS Northings: 665100
OS Grid: NS597651
Mapcode National: GBR 0PM.0L
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.S0TJ
Entry Name: 18 Blackfriars Street, the Babbity Bowster
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375446
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32625
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Probably the work of Robert and John Adam, built circa
1790, restored 1984-6. 3-storey 5-bay pedimented house
now (1988) Public House. In 1984 the 2nd floor and
pediment were rebuilt and the whole building refurbished.
Polished painted ashlar frontage.
To ground, tripartite doorpiece with engaged Tuscan
columns supporting entablature and balustraded parapet.
Full-height shop windows with small pane glazing flanked
by panelled pilasters.
To 1st and 2nd, blind window to centre bay flanked by 2
single lights, all sash and case with 12-pane glazing.
Band course over ground and at 1st and 2nd floor cills.
Simple pediment with central blind oculus.
Pediment and 2nd floor reinstated by Nick Groves-Raines and
Tom Laurie Associates 1984-6. Formerly included No 16,
this street number does not exist.
Other nearby listed buildings