History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

28-32 (Even Nos) Buchanan Street, Argyll Chambers

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8589 / 55°51'31"N

Longitude: -4.2544 / 4°15'15"W

OS Eastings: 258991

OS Northings: 665150

OS Grid: NS589651

Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.NH

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MZ9X

Entry Name: 28-32 (Even Nos) Buchanan Street, Argyll Chambers

Listing Date: 4 September 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375458

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32633

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Colin Menzies (Thomson and Menzies), dated 1904. Elaborate Edwardian Baroque commercial building. 6-storey and gabled attic; 3 tripartite bays, the central canted through 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. Red sandstone ashlar with polished granite details. Argyll Arcade (see Notes) entered through centre bay with paired mosaic, semi-domed tympanum at entrance; modern (1971) canopies above. Modern shops to ground, returning into Argyll Arcade; dentilled cornicing to return passageway to Arcade elevations. No 32 with curved glass entrance in Arcade. Outer rusticated or banded pilasters. Outer 1st and 2nd floor bays with 2-light central windows, framed respectively by pilasters or banded piers, Corinthian columns to 3rd floor with broken and open swan-neck pediment; similar pediment detail in 4th floor centre bay. Large, semi-circular, key-blocked windows in 4th and centre 5th floor. Corinthian colonnade 5th floor bays, to outer with keyblocked arched windows. Balustraded, balconies to 1st, 2nd and 5th floors, boldly bracketted in centre 1st floor bay with allegorical figures standing on outer plinths and under canopies. Boldly bracketted main cornice; aedicule attic window in steep pediment over centre bay, with clasping, octagonal finialled pinnacles. Plate-glass sash and case windows.

Statement of Interest

This is an elabortate and finely detailed Edwardian Baroque commercial premises in a prominent urban location. The first arcade was opened in 1828. Formerly housed Stuart Cranston's Tea Rooms, decorated by McCulloch and Co.

The Argyll Arcade is listed separately (HBNUM 32613).

List description updated 2013.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.