This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8536 / 55°51'13"N
Longitude: -4.2413 / 4°14'28"W
OS Eastings: 259793
OS Northings: 664540
OS Grid: NS597645
Mapcode National: GBR 0PP.9D
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.T4JC
Entry Name: 72 Charlotte Street, Former Lady and St Francis Secondary School
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375517
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32662
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Jack Coia, 1963. Modern Movement block on corner site comprised of 4-storey and single storey flat-roofed sections, with basement. Concrete frame partially revealed, with blue-black brick infill and panels. Horizontal fenestration in steel cases, with clerestorey; casement windows.
S (Greendyke Street) elevation: 7-bay, stair windows in 5th bay from left, recessed above ground floor; ground floor largely brick with clerestorey to basement bays at right with segmental fanlight to stairwell above; doorway to outer left and clerestorey to ground floor. Generous horizontal fenestration to 1st floor classrooms. 2nd and 3rd floors with balconies on bevelled cantilevers horizontal glazing; recessed clerestorey lights. Cantilevered canopy roof.
E (Charlotte Street) elevation: single storey and basement gymnasium section to right, on rising ground. Detailed as S elevation at ground, with basement clerestorey; 2 large windows continuing from S elevation to outer left at 1st floor, with deep clerestorey windows to gymnasium to centre and under roofline to right. Single storey linking bays recessed to outer right with flat-roof, 2-leaf glazed doors and curved brick stairwell serving basement only to ground floor height. 2nd and 3rd floor in continuous bands of concrete brick and clerestorey.
N elevation: 2nd and 3rd floors above gymnasium roof, detailed as S elevation without recessed bay of stair windows.
W elevation: abutted at ground and 1st floor by TA hall; 2nd and 3rd floors detailed as E elevation.
Interior: tall gymnasium and galleried hall to N section. Changing rooms, classrooms and home economics rooms in 4-storey section. Floor plans dominated by brick stairwells, largely without corridors. Black tiled floors, boarded timber ceilings. Varnished timber screen to stairs continuing from basement floor to roof height. Mural frieze, 1965, on Elizabethan theme, in school hall.
This Le Corbusier-inspired design was exhibited at the RSA in 1965. Isi Metzstein was in charge of work here, and the opening on 16th April 1964, was recorded by a plaque. The Roman Catholic Convent school first opened in 1849; its closure is confirmed for 1989. The 1954 building to N, by Gillespie, Kidd and Coia (not included in current listings) bears similarities with the same architects' earlier design for Knightswood Secondary School, conceived in 1938.
Other nearby listed buildings