This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8561 / 55°51'21"N
Longitude: -4.2555 / 4°15'19"W
OS Eastings: 258915
OS Northings: 664842
OS Grid: NS589648
Mapcode National: GBR 0LN.FH
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.L2SH
Entry Name: 266-268 Clyde Street
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375526
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32671
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1860, Classical 7-bay, 3-storey and attic shop and
office block, with interior alterations, 1901, and given
new shop fronts, 2 additional upper storeys, and further
adjustments to interior, probably J J Burnet, circa 1920.
Cream sandstone ashlar; squared and snecked sandstone
to sides and rear, with brick additions (1920).
Channelled ashlar at ground to S elevation, impost
courses, dentil cornices and moulded keystones.
S ELEVATION: broad depressed archway at centre with
Arbroath stone steps to vestibule; recessed modern
doorway. Tripartite shop fronts in flanking bays, circa
1920, in mirrored form, with channelled pilasters
retained; top-hopper upper windows and fanlights;
cornice above ground floor. Giant pilasters flanking
centre bay at 1st and 2nd floor with windows in raised
panel; round-arched keystoned windows to each floor
(pilastered to bays flanking centre); dentil cornice to
1st, with entablature at 2nd. Paterae detail between each
window. Former attic floor serving as plinth for 2 later
floors above; architraved window at centre, 3 windows
flanking each side with pilasters dividing. 2 top floors
with giant pilasters again flanking centre bay, regular
fenestration with tall windows in penultimate storey.
Cornice and parapet with wallhead stacks flanking centre
N (FOX STREET) ELEVATION: 2 stair window bays at centre,
surmounted by water tank. Evidence of former additions
at ground. Near-regular fenestration in remaining bays
with bipartites to outer left.
Tenements adjoined to E and W.
PLate glass sash and case windows and metal casements to
later work. Wrought-iron geometric window guards to top
floor. Wallhead and gablehead stacks.
The style of the original property bears resemblance to
work by J T Rochead or Charles Wilson. The Dean of Guild
plans by J J Burnet of 1903 (1/9688), were probably never
realised, (for example, they include a mansard roof),
but the "top hamper" effect suggests that he almost
certainly provided the subsequent design in the present form,
after World War I.
Other nearby listed buildings