This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8594 / 55°51'33"N
Longitude: -4.2491 / 4°14'56"W
OS Eastings: 259325
OS Northings: 665204
OS Grid: NS593652
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.Q9
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.PZTG
Entry Name: 79-89 (Odd Nos) Glassford Street, the Trades House
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375572
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32713
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Robert Adam, 1791-9, completed posthumously. David Hamilton extensions at rear 1838, interior recast by James Sellar in 1887-8 partially or totally refaced by John Keppie 1927; 1916 John Keppie redecorated the saloon. 1955 extensive alterations and new trades' hall ceiling by Walter Underwood. Classical building. 2-storey and full attic, symmetrical 7-bay elevation, alternately recessed and advanced. Polished ashlar, rusticated ground floor with bold voussoirs to openings. Various alterations to ground floor openings, including reduction to size of main door and insertion of stained timber windows with panelled aprons. Tall 1st floor with pairs of Ionic columns supporting central pediment; 3 Adam-type Venetian windows in advanced bays (with altered glazing); console pedimented windows in recessed bays. Raised attic over 5 inner bays, central parapet with paterae, supporting Royal Arms. Set back centrally, domed drum with louvred aedicules and leaded cupola. Outer bays raised from single storey by Sellars (1887). 2 bronze panels above pedimented windows, of gryphon-flanked vases.
Small-pane glazing to main, hopper windows, plate-glass sash case to outer bays and attic.
INTERIOR: reconstructed 1887-8 by Sellars. Grand stair rises in 2 flights to 1st floor with fluted newels supporting bronze lamp standards, stained glass by Sellars.
BANQUETING HALL: remodelled by Sellars with Adam-style ceiling, replaced 1956 with African timber ceiling, silk frieze depicting Trades at work, 1902-03.
SALOON: Spanish mahogany panelled with plaster panelled ceiling. Glass by Guthrie and Wells 1897. Adamesque marble chimneypiece.
Main entrance: decorative mosaic floor inscribed "Trades House".
Part of ground floor absorbed into adjoining bank at No 99 Glassford Street.
Extensions of 1828 and 1838 by Hamilton. Decorations 1850 by Campbell F Bowie, now replaced. Hamilton derived the drum on Stirling's Library (listed separately), from that of the Trades House. In 1882, both Salmon and Son and Campbell Douglas and Sellars submitted designs for a new building at the site, neither was executed.
Other nearby listed buildings