This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8568 / 55°51'24"N
Longitude: -4.2436 / 4°14'37"W
OS Eastings: 259659
OS Northings: 664901
OS Grid: NS596649
Mapcode National: GBR 0NN.V7
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.S1DX
Entry Name: High Street Glasgow Cross the Tolbooth Steeple
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375577
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32717
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Tall early 17th century tower, only surviving fragment of
Glasgow's Tolbooth, built 1626-1634 by John Boyd, architect and
Master of Works. The Tolbooth was demolished in 1921. Seven
stage square tower with open crown spire, ashlar built with
raised buckle-quoins. Moulded string courses between
stages. The steeple fomerly adjoined the Tolbooth at the W.
Roll-moulded and architraved doors to ground are 20th century
work. To each face, except that to W, to upper stages,
roll-moulded windows with decorative strapwork pediments.
7th stage with square clock faces. Corbelled parapet with
projecting square section bartizans. From these rise
flying buttresses supporting crown steeple with gilded
MacKechnie's article suggests the use of the buckle quoin can
be linked to a court style of the early 17th century and the
work of James Murray and William Wallace.
De-scheduled 25 August 1998.
Other nearby listed buildings