History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

119-129 High Street

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8586 / 55°51'31"N

Longitude: -4.2421 / 4°14'31"W

OS Eastings: 259760

OS Northings: 665099

OS Grid: NS597650

Mapcode National: GBR 0PM.4L

Mapcode Global: WH3P8.T04J

Entry Name: 119-129 High Street

Listing Date: 4 September 1989

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375584

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32721

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

A B McDonald, 1898. 5-storey tenement with 16th century Dutch details and with shops at ground. Red sandstone, ashlar to E (principal) elevation, squared and snecked to W (rear); red brick S side elevation, harling to N Chamfered reveals; stone mullions.

E ELEVATION: carriage pend to outer left and former door to close off-centre to right; shop facades in remaining bays, divided by polished Peterhead granite pilasters and with sandstone ashlar corniced frieze above. 8 symmetrical bays above ground, articulated with full-height canted windows to centre and outer bays, each with shaped gable; bipartites in intervening bays. Cill courses to each floor.

Canted bays at 1st floor with semi-circular pediment detail above centre lights, repeated in open form at 3rd floor; each 3rd floor window corniced, with strapwork and escutcheon carving to aprons. Moulded cornice below ashlar coped parapet, broken at centre. Corniced keystones to recessed semi-circular panels in gables of outer bays, finial to wider gable at centre, carved with Glasgow coat-of-arms.

W ELEVATION: symmetrical but with outer bay to right recessed above pend. Bipartities to centre bays, flanked by single windows and bipartite stair windows with semi-circular fanlight below cornice lighting stairwell; single windows in penultimate bays and bipartites to outer bays.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: modern building adjoining to N and Black Bull Inn, 111 High Street adjoining to S, both to 2nd floor height.

Plate glass sash and case windows with 4-pane upper panels to windows of principal elevation. Corniced end and mutual gable stacks; bracketted cornices to angle stacks at rear.

Statement of Interest

Erected for Central Fire Station, following design of their property at 25-33 Ingram Street; design altered 8th September 1898, with shops at ground, and further additions to area behind linking with Ingram Street section. The petitioner was the Corporation of Glasgow (Police Department); McDonald was architect to the Office of Public Works. Stevenson quotes the cost of the new fire station with its main frontage onto Ingram Street, costing $60,000, and opened in May 1900.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.