This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8599 / 55°51'35"N
Longitude: -4.2476 / 4°14'51"W
OS Eastings: 259422
OS Northings: 665250
OS Grid: NS594652
Mapcode National: GBR 0NM.14
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.QZJ3
Entry Name: 158 Ingram Street, and 2 John Street, Hutcheson's Hospital
Listing Date: 6 November 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375631
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32744
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
David Hamilton, architect, 1802-1805, interior recast by
John Baird II 1876. Classically detailed with Roman
motifs. Built to replace earlier (17th century) Hospital
as a home for aged men. 2-storey and attic with tall
slender tower and spire. Polished painted ashlar,
channelled at ground.
INGRAM STREET ELEVATION: 5-bay symmetrical front.
Central doorway has Roman Doric porch and double-leaf
panelled doors. Plain rectangular windows to ground. 1st
floor is double-height with inner 3 bays recessed in the
form of a colonnade. Corinthian columns in antis flank
large square-headed consoled windows with panel frieze
above. To end bays Corinthian pilasters flank niches
(an alteration of 1824) with statues of George and
Thomas Hutcheson (the founders) carved in 1649 by JAMES
COLQUHOUN, and resited from the original 17th-century
Hospital. The glazing is 6-pane to 1st, 2-pane to ground
with partly leaded coloured glass to lower panes.
Colonnade supports frieze with inscription recording the
founders, cornice and blocking course. Above this scroll
pediment to centre, to end bays oval "Roman" alters as
finial feature linked by balustrade.
JOHN STREET ELEVATION: simpler elevation of 2 wide bays.
Pilastered doorpiece to left, tripartite window to
right. To 1st shallow pedimented tripartites with
consoles. These are flanked by paired pilasters. Cornice
with solid deep parapet above, tripartite attic windows,
that to right blind. Wallhead corniced stack with
TOWER: square based, 4-stage tower with slim needle
spire. 1st stage with round-arched window, 2nd with
louvred openings flanked by paired Tuscan columns set
across angle. These support projecting cornice; clock
face to 3rd stage. 4th stage Ionic tempietto from which
rises spire surmounted by gilded orb and cross.
INTERIOR: completely recast by John Baird II in 1876, in
heavy classical style with lavish detail. Main Hall to
1st floor, windows and doors with heavy architraves and
pediments supported on moulded consoles, double-leaf
panelled doors. Windows with painted glass panels to
upper and lower parts. Panelling to wainscott level
throughout. 2 chimneypieces with Ionic columns
supporting elaborate entablature. Ceiling divided into 3
sections with moulded dentil cornice and good ceiling
rose, decorative iron ventilators. Scale and platt stair
with carved timber balusters.
Important street scape value as formal end to Hutcheson
Street. Owned by National Trust for Scotland.
Other nearby listed buildings