History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

77-81 (Odd Nos) Miller Street, Arthur's Warehouse

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8594 / 55°51'33"N

Longitude: -4.2511 / 4°15'4"W

OS Eastings: 259200

OS Northings: 665208

OS Grid: NS592652

Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.B9

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NZVG

Entry Name: 77-81 (Odd Nos) Miller Street, Arthur's Warehouse

Listing Date: 6 November 1966

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375654

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32759

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Robert Black and James Salmon Sen, 1849-50. Extensive
15-bay (6-3-6), Renaissance style, 3-storey offices,
(now domestic) with emphasis to central bays. Painted
ashlar. Base course, channelled ground floor and deep
cornice.
GROUND FLOOR: central bays to each section pilastered,
wide entrance to close in left bay of central, slightly
advanced section, now columned window in right;
Venetian windows in both floors above with segmental
shell pediments to central lights and flanking windows.
Paired semi-circular headed lights to central windows of
outer sections at ground floor, 2 windows above with
apron balustrades and segmental shell pediments,
simplified in 2nd. All remaining windows with panelled
pilasters and corniced. Crowning balustraded and solid
die parapet. Decorative cast-iron gates to close.
12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows.

Statement of Interest

Major watershed in terms of commercial building for

Glasgow, comparable with Royal Bank of Scotland, Gordon

Street. 1849 work was commissioned by Archibald

MacLellan, who had run a coach building company on the

site, destroyed by fire in 1847. Leased Messrs D & J

Macdonald, the largest firm of sewed muslin

manufacturers in Glasgow, until 1855.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.