This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8551 / 55°51'18"N
Longitude: -4.2443 / 4°14'39"W
OS Eastings: 259614
OS Northings: 664713
OS Grid: NS596647
Mapcode National: GBR 0NN.QV
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.S337
Entry Name: 54 St Andrews Square and 51 Turnbull Street, Former Central Police Headquarters
Listing Date: 4 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375717
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32792
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Calton
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
A B McDonald, 1903. Irregular plan building with Renaissance details, comprised primarily of offices, court hall, cells, recreation and reception areas, built around a courtyard and designed to conform to an awkward site. 2 and 3-storey bays with attic to corner bays. Red brick with red Dumfriesshire sandstone ashlar dressings. Ashlar base, band, cill and lintel courses, moulded cornice.
E (Turnbull Street) elevation: 2-storey, 8-bay entrance block to left, with outer left bay set at an angle. Pend at centre with round, ashlar voussoired archway with Gibbsian detail; enamel-tiled pend; semi-circular wallhead pediment ornately carved with escutcheon, set above 2 recessed 1st floor windows divided by free standing Ionic ashlar column, with swag and strapwork carving to apron below; raised panels flanking 1st floor windows and breaking eaves as dies, bearing wreaths and pendant carving at apron level. 3 windows to each floor to left and right of centre; additional bay to outer right with door and window above. Taller 2-storey pedimented bay of court hall to right (dentil cornice); 4 windows at ground; Venetian window to court room above, set in recessed panel, with Ionic columns, keystone and "Let Glasgow Flourish" armorial carved in tympanum; classical seated male statues flanking pediment each side. 3 2-storey and attic bays to right, with semi-circular pediments to 1st floor windows and small attic windows under eaves.
Corner block: 3-storey with parapet and attic. E elevation to Turnbull Street with gabled bay to left and blank wall-plane to right; tripartite doorway in gabled bay, segmentally arched, with keystone and further window flanking; tripartite windows to 1st and 2nd floor in ashlar panel with bracketted carved shallow balcony to 1st floor window, pediment to centre light; large semi-circular timber mullioned attic window in gablehead, with keystone, slightly bowed and consoled 2nd floor cornice supporting decorative wrought-iron window guard. Segmentally pedimented apex bearing date, 1904; mannered obelisk to skewputts. Tripartite windows to corner tower, chamfered at ground, rounded at 1st and 2nd floors; corniced and keystoned 1st floor windows with segmental pediment to centre light; octagonal cap to tower with segmentally arched windows and mullion cornice, lead cupola and tapering finial. 4 bays to N (St Andrews Street), regular fenestration, with 2 corniced 1st floor windows at centre, flanked by pedimented windows; dormer window at centre flanked by wallhead stacks, and with segmental pediment and keystone. 2-storey outer bay to right.
Courtyard elevations: severe and functional; red brick and grey ashlar cills and lintels. Small multi-paned windows to cells to W, above open garage bays (formerly serving stable); taller windows to N, some with metal grilles; porch addition at ground.
Interior: not seen (1989); apparently with good panelling to court hall.
Top-hopper windows predominating; small-pane glazing pattern to attic windows. Grey slates. Skylights.
A B McDonald was architect to the Office of Public Works. He was also responsible for the Fire Station between Ingram Street and High Street, and Ruchill Hospital. The use of the "Let Glasgow Flourish" armorial and Renaissance details were regular components of his work. Ruchill was similarly designed in red bricks with red sandstone dressings. The carved ornament and statues deserve particular attention. Orginal listing included reference to 2 St Andrews Street.
Other nearby listed buildings