This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8587 / 55°51'31"N
Longitude: -4.2487 / 4°14'55"W
OS Eastings: 259348
OS Northings: 665126
OS Grid: NS593651
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.TK
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.QZ0Z
Entry Name: Wilson Street, Police Box
Listing Date: 26 September 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375729
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32803
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
To design by Gilbert MacKenzie Trench, 1928, erected circa 1935. Reinforced concrete police box, square-plan and panelled with 2-leaf doors and block frieze with tablet for 'POLICE' sign. Roof stepped inwards with circular, dome-capped metal finial (lamp/ventilator) at centre. Upper panels of each face with 6-pane glazing.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995.
Trench (1885-1979) was Architect Surveyor to the Metropolitan Police. Each police call box was intended to be a 'miniature police station'. There are three others of this type remaining in situ in Glasgow, at the Botanic Gardens, Buchanan Street and Royal Exchange Square. The Wilson Street box is set on a plinth by railings to the underground public conveniences. This box is now painted red, the original colour used in Glasgow.
Other nearby listed buildings