History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

40-50 (Even Nos) Wilson Street with 70-74 Hutcheson Street, 117 Brunswick Street, 149 Ingram Street (The Former County Buildings or Court Houses)

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8595 / 55°51'34"N

Longitude: -4.2474 / 4°14'50"W

OS Eastings: 259435

OS Northings: 665207

OS Grid: NS594652

Mapcode National: GBR 0NM.28

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.QZMF

Entry Name: 40-50 (Even Nos) Wilson Street with 70-74 Hutcheson Street, 117 Brunswick Street, 149 Ingram Street (The Former County Buildings or Court Houses)

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375733

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32807

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

Clarke and Bell, Edinburgh, 1842-4, with N section in
1871, and refronted in 1892. Neo-Greek, 3-storey public
buildings. Ashlar, channelled to ground 1st floor
windows mainly with consoled cornices, some pilastered
window reveals at ground and in doors now altered to
windows.
Comprised of; (a) S section: 1842-4. Original County
Building. Ionic hexastyle temple front to Wilson Street,
raised on stylobate (ground floor) and flanked by single
narrow bays and outer pilastered bays. Ashlar,
channelled to ground, frieze sculptured by Walter Buchan
on base. Architraved windows. Entrances with consoled
cornices in outer bays, crowning entablature and blocking
course; one similar return bay; further bays each side
elevation, symmetrically arranged to Brunswick Street.
Columnar entrance hall to Wilson Street.
(B) CENTRE SECTION: 1842-4. Originally Merchants' House.
Main front to Hutcheson Street, incorporating Corinthian
colonnade, rising through 1st and 2nd floors and flanked
by pilastered bays. Sculpture again by Buchan.
(C) N SECTION: 1871, extended 1892; facade reflecting
Wilson Street design; with Corinthian hexastyle portico
to Ingram Street with central door and 4 windows in
plinth, partly re-using old materials. Closely spaced
windows on N part of Hutcheson Street; 8 bays to N of
Brunswick Street are symmetrical. Plate-glass glazing
pattern to sash and case windows; some etched glazing to
Brunswick Street. Decorative wrought-iron railings to
Brunswick Street, and decorative cast-iron to Wilson
Street.

Statement of Interest

Won by Clarke and Bell in a competition of 1841. The

S part cost $56,000 and the Merchants' House $10,300.

In 1888, when the City Chambers opened, the building was

reserved for the courts alone. Undergoing interior

alterations 1988.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.