History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Queen Street Station, Train Shed and Bridge over Railway on Cathedral Street

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8633 / 55°51'47"N

Longitude: -4.2508 / 4°15'3"W

OS Eastings: 259231

OS Northings: 665634

OS Grid: NS592656

Mapcode National: GBR 0MK.CX

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.NWZJ

Entry Name: Queen Street Station, Train Shed and Bridge over Railway on Cathedral Street

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375760

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32822

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

James Carswell, 1878-80, executed by P and W MacLellan. 10-bay segmentally arched engine shed over 6 tracks and 4 platforms. Cast-iron columns, with Corinthian capitals to N end Bell-capital columns, supporting lattice beams below Cathedral Street (see Bridge). Delicate lattice arched overall spans 250' x 78' high, glazed with corrugated iron panels at sections.

Decorative fan-glazed ends. Now adjoining modern station

offices to S, SE and SW.

Bridge with wrought-iron lattice girders and parapets of cast-iron basket-arched panels divided by panelled columns and rising to latticed coping; carrying vehicular traffic. Contractors: Smith and Naysmith, Bellahouston Ironworks, Glasgow.

Statement of Interest

The original station was opened at Queen Street in 1842 by the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway. The early ancillary buildings have been demolished (see Hume), and the 1880 shed is the surviving representative of the impact of the Victorian railway boom at Queen Street Station; it was built for the North British Railway Company, partly out of competition with Central Station which had expanded by 1879. Arched sheds of note were also to be found at St Pancras, Manchester, and Charing Cross, London; Queens Street is the only remaining large single span overall station in Scotland. The North British Hotel, George Square (now the Copthorne) was opened in 1905, and is

listed separately. The tunnel mouth was relocated northward and Cathedral Street bridge built to permit longer platforms in 1878.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.