This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8605 / 55°51'37"N
Longitude: -4.254 / 4°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 259023
OS Northings: 665334
OS Grid: NS590653
Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.QX
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MYHM
Entry Name: Buchanan Street, at Royal Bank Place, Police Box
Listing Date: 26 September 1995
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375766
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32825
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
To design by Gilbert MacKenzie Trench, 1928, erected circa 1935. Reinforced concrete police box, square-plan and panelled with 2-leaf doors and block frieze with tablet for 'POLICE' sign. Roof stepped inwards with circular, dome-capped metal finial (lamp/ventilator) at centre. Upper panels of each face with 6-pane glazing.
INTERIOR: not seen 1995.
Trench (1885-1979) was Architect Surveyor to the Metropolitan Police. Each police call box was intended to serve as a "miniature police station". There are three others of this type remaining in situ in Glasgow, at the Buchanan Street, Wilson Street and the Botanic Gardens. Previously located at Royal Exchange Square.
Other nearby listed buildings