History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

17-29 (Odd Nos) St Vincent Place, Scottish Provident Institution

A Category A Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8608 / 55°51'38"N

Longitude: -4.2531 / 4°15'11"W

OS Eastings: 259082

OS Northings: 665365

OS Grid: NS590653

Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.XT

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MYXD

Entry Name: 17-29 (Odd Nos) St Vincent Place, Scottish Provident Institution

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375791

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32836

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Glasgow

Description

J M Dick Peddie, 1904-8. French Renaissance commercial building. 6-storey, 2 attics and basement. 13-bay, with outer 3 bays each side advanced. Cream sandstone ashlar; channelling with rounded arrises at ground and 1st floor. Large segmentally pedimented porch oversailing basement at centre, with coupled Doric columns on polished granite bases, adjoined to basement area balustrade. Balustraded steps oversailing basement to subsidiary architraved and corniced doorways. Similar to outer right bay. Keystoned round-arched 1st floor windows, divided by brackets of 2nd floor balustrade, "Scottish Provident Institute", in gilded letters, emblazoned at centre. Consoled cills

with panelled aprons to round arched keystoned 3rd floor windows with open pediments. Smaller architraved 4th floor windows. Tetrastyle Ionic columns through 2nd, 3rd and 4th floors in advanced outer bays. Main entablature and with full attic floor above, in-set windows detailed as 4th floor, divided by panelled bays; eaves cornice and die balustrade. Leaded French pavilion roofs (with 2 attics) above outer bays, with oculi. Coped ashlar end stacks. Slate mansard.

Casement windows, with mannered glazing E elevation to North Court: main facade continues to 1st return bay then very simplified.

REAR ELEVATION: glazed brick, modern windows.

INTERIOR: some good woodwork inside.

Statement of Interest

Building begun in 1904 but not completed until after 1908, when a further Dean of Guild application was made. The rear elevation lowers over the rear of the Royal Exchange Square to S.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.