This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.872 / 55°52'19"N
Longitude: -4.2969 / 4°17'48"W
OS Eastings: 256382
OS Northings: 666701
OS Grid: NS563667
Mapcode National: GBR 0BG.1S
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.ZN0T
Entry Name: 62 Church Street, 10c Dumbarton Road, Western Infirmary, Outpatients and Dispensary, Including Chapel
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375877
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32857
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Sir John James Burnet (John Burnet and Son), circa 1913. Single storey with 2-storey S end, 6-bay Scots Renaissance medical building, with prominent crowstepped gables to church Street. Squared snecked rubble, ashlar dressings.
PRINCIPAL (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: roughly 6 bays with paired crowstepped gabled bays to far right (S) and recessed crowstepped gable to right (N) with small corner tower to far left (N). Architraved entrance in 1st bay from S with fleur-de-lys decorated panel above and sculpted panel with bracketed cornice and lettering "GLASGOW WESTERN INFIRMARY OUTDOOR DISPENSARY". Segmental arched ground floor windows, those to gabled bays at right (S) tri-partite and with Gibbsian surround. Rectangular windows above with moulded surrounds and raised sculpted panels to gable apexes inscribed 'MEDICINE' and 'SURGERY' . Keystoned oriel window to recessed gable at left (N). Prominent balustrade with rectangular piers and shaped balusters over cornice to single storey bays.
REAR (E) ELEVATION: single storey rear section running E-W, round-headed dormers in N return, balustraded parapet and crow-stepped gable with oculus to E elevation.
Mixture of plate glass and multi-pane in timber windows. Pitched roof with grey slates, some later roof-lights.
INTERIOR: some alteration and later subdivision, but retains many original features and fittings. Large central former dispensing hall with exposed riveted metal roof beams and bracketed supports with timber grotesques. Keystoned arcaded arches with rusticated vousoirs to hall forming central hall and aisles. Full length raised clearstorey.
CHAPEL: rectangular plan chapel to rear with Arts and Crafts interior. Exposed sandstone ashlar walls, some timber paneling and timber doors with glazed panels. Tri-partite pointed arched window to E gable end with stained glass; further stained glass to other pointed arched windows. Sandstone ashlar altar with engaged Doric columns. Herringbone pattern timber block floor. Octagonal timber lectern with relief carving of pointed arch detail, set on sandstone ashlar base. Open timber roof with painted rafters and purlins.
62 Church Street is an important example of an early 20th century medical building designed by prominent architect Sir John James Burnet and making a significant contribution to the streetscape of Church Street. The building is well detailed in Scots Renaissance style, with a particularly prominent crow-stepped gables and an octagonal corner tower which makes a good contribution to the streetscape. The interior contains some original features including the original dispensary space which is a large hall with prominent riveted metal rafters and roof-lights. The building also contains the hospital chapel which is constructed from sandstone ashlar and contains some good stained glass windows.
62 Church Street was originally designed as the outpatients building and outdoor dispensary for the Western Infirmary. The Western Infirmary was opened in 1874 with 150 beds, which increased to 350 in 1881 and 630 in 1906. The Western Infirmary has a long tradition of pioneering work, particularly in radiology and laboratory space was always a key factor on the site, including in the pathology block (see separate listing). The site was subject to a development plan in 1960, with a two phase redevelopment proposed. The 256 bed Phase I block was completed in 1974, but phase II was indefinitely postponed following the completion of the nearby Gartnavel Hospital in 1973.
The practice of Burnet Son and Campbell were a prominent Scottish architectural practice including Sir John Burnet and Sir John James Burnet. Sir John Burnet retired from the practice in 1889-90, after which John Archibald Campbell rejoining the practice in 1896. The designs for the pathology block in 1894 exhibit a characteristic combination of Scots Renaissance detailing with Neo-Baroque (or Burnet Baroque as it became known) detailing, particularly evident in the detailed window surrounds to the Church Street elevation and the use of advanced and recessed blocks to provide texture to the streetscape. The practice experimented widely with this style, in particular with the Glasgow Athenaeum Theatre of 1891-3 (see separate listing) and Burnet toured Italy in 1895 to further his understanding of the Baroque. The practice worked extensively on the Western Infirmary site and were responsible for a number of buildings including the pathology building, outpatients and dispensary and latterly the Tenant memorial Building (see separate listings) as Burnet Son and Dick with Norman A Dick joining the practice in 1907.
(List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2012.)
Other nearby listed buildings