This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8723 / 55°52'20"N
Longitude: -4.2967 / 4°17'48"W
OS Eastings: 256393
OS Northings: 666730
OS Grid: NS563667
Mapcode National: GBR 0BG.2P
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.ZN3L
Entry Name: 78 Church Street, 10b Dumbarton Road, Western Infirmary, Pathological Block, and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375878
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32858
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Partick East/Kelvindale
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Sir John James Burnet (Burnet Son and Campbell), 1894-96. 1 and 2 storey rectangular-plan Scots Renaissance medical building, with later additions to E. Squared snecked rubble, with deep droved ashlar plinth. Roll moulded step to top of plinth. Crowstepped gables with segmental pedimented obelisk to apex, that to E plain with plinth only.
PRINCIPAL (CHURCH STREET) ELEVATION: roughly 3-bay gable end elevation, with recessed bay to N. Single segmental pedimented window at ground floor breaking stepped and moulded plinth course; moulded panel to pediment and finial over. Large window at first floor with consoled advanced cill, flanked by stylised engaged columns, roll moulded surround and large advanced keystone. Open pediment above with deeply sculpted tympanum and flanking obelisks. Large blind window to recessed bay flanked by richly detailed console brackets and with deep moulded cill and cornice.
S ELEVATION: largely blind wall with some later alterations including metal stair and later section of boundary wall.
N ELEVATION: regular fenestration with tripartite windows at 1st floor and attic. Off-centre base to former boiler house stack (demolished 1989). Later addition to far left (E).
Predominantly plate glass in tri-partite style metal frame glazing, with some timber sash and case to Church Street elevation. Graded grey slates.
INTERIOR (seen 2011): later alterations to interior to form laboratories and office accommodation. Concrete cantilevered stairs to later block
BOUNDARY WALL: coursed squared sandstone boundary wall, partially balustraded.
78 Church Street is a good example of a later 19th century medical building originally built as a pathology block. The building is well detailed in Scots Renaissance style, with a high-quality gable end elevation to Church Street which makes a good contribution to the streetscape.
78 Church Street was originally designed as the pathology block for the hospital. The Western infirmary was opened in 1874 with 150 beds, which increased to 350 in 1881 and 630 in 1906. The Western Infirmary has a long tradition of pioneering work, particularly in radiology and laboratory space was always a key factor on the site, including in the pathology block. The site was subject to a development plan in 1960, with a two phase redevelopment proposed. The 256 bed Phase I block was completed in 1974, but phase II was indefinitely postponed following the completion of the nearby Gartnavel Hospital in 1973.
Burnet Son and Campbell was a prominent Scottish architectural practice including Sir John Burnet and Sir John James Burnet. Sir John Burnet retired from the practice in 1889-90 following John Archibald Campbell rejoining the practice in 1896. The designs for the pathology block in 1894 exhibit a characteristic combination of Scots Renaissance detailing with Neo-Baroque (or Burnet Baroque as it became known) detailing, particularly evident in the detailed window surrounds to the Church Street elevation and the use of advanced and recessed blocks to provide texture to the streetscape. The practice experimented widely with this style, in particular with the Glasgow Athenaeum Theatre of 1891-3 (see separate listing) and Burnet toured Italy in 1895 to further his understanding of the Baroque. The practice worked extensively on the Western Infirmary site and were responsible for a number of buildings including the pathology building, outpatients and dispensary and latterly the Tenant memorial Building (see separate listings) as Burnet Son and Dick with Norman A Dick joining the practice in 1907.
The pathology building has been altered, including the demolition in 1989 of a later boilerhouse stack by Norman A Dick which dated to 1934. There is also a later addition to the rear of the building which provides additional office and laboratory accommodation.
(List description updated and category changed from B to C(S) as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2012.)
Other nearby listed buildings