This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8703 / 55°52'13"N
Longitude: -4.2966 / 4°17'47"W
OS Eastings: 256396
OS Northings: 666513
OS Grid: NS563665
Mapcode National: GBR 0BH.3D
Mapcode Global: WH3P1.ZQ53
Entry Name: University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus Building C1, 57 Dumbarton Road, Anderson College Including Gatepiers, Gates and Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 375899
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32867
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
James Sellars (Cambell Douglas & Sellars), completed John Keppie, 1888-89; additions, Honeyman & Keppie, 1895; alterations, Keppie & Henderson, 1936-7; alterations & additions, Keppie, Henderson & Gleave, 1954-5; interior rebuilt and extended, 1990; interior refurbishment 2007 onwards. Medical teaching building in Early Italian Renaissance style. Original 4- and 5-bay L-plan ranges clasped around later rectangular-plan blocks to NW; chamfered entrance and arched 'tower' at external angle; varying roof heights. Squared snecked rubble sandstone with ashlar dressings. Notable sculpted panels by James Pittendreigh MacGillivray to Dumbarton Road and E elevations.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: ELEVATION TO DUMBARTON ROAD: plinth. 3 W bays stone mullioned and transomed windows, ground floor cornice; 1st floor cill band, blind niche to each bay. E bay shallow projecting with tripartite window with 6-lights to ground floor, corbelled balustraded balcony above to 1st floor tripartite window with Corinthian column mullions and arched, relief sculpted tympanum springing from outer pilasters. Deep bracketted cornice. Single E return bay of raised section with niche at 1st floor. ENTRANCE BAY: Corinthian columned portico with arched entrance double-leaf panelled doors, balustraded parapet. Arched window above. Cornice, parapet. S facing raised block to right of entrance with sculpted, corniced tablet at eaves level and open, arched pedimented aedicule with parapet above. E ELEVATION: 1st bay from S projecting and pedimented; ground floor relief frieze to both sides of circular window; 6-light arched window above. 5 N bays with 4-light window to ground floor and 2-light pedimented windows with column mullion above. Sculpted relief panels to 2nd floor. Eaves cornice broken by regular raised, corniced piers. Links to Pontecorvo, Robertson and Virology Buildings.
2-pane timber sash and case windows Grey slate roof; axial and wallhead stacks.
GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS TO DUMBARTON ROAD: tall red sandstone cluster gatepiers with obelisks; decorative wrought-iron gates; dwarf wall with decorative wrought-iron railings.
INTERIOR: (seen 2010) no original features visible.
The Anderson's College Building was designed by James Sellars, architect of the main building of the 1888 Glasgow International Exhibition (a temporary structure in the nearby Kelvingrove Park). Sellars died on 9th October 1888 of blood poisoning from a rusty nail piercing his foot on the Exhibition site. Anderson's College Medical School was completed by John Keppie of Honeyman & Keppie, another major Glasgow architectural practice. The building has two important relief sculpture panels by James Pittendreigh MacGillivray, later the King's Sculptor in Ordinary for Scotland.
Anderson's Institution, one of the predecessor bodies of the University of Strathclyde, was founded in 1796 from a bequest by John Anderson, Professor of Natural Philosophy (1757-1796) at the University of Glasgow. The founding principles of the College were to create a place of 'useful learning' for the working men and women of Glasgow. A medical institute followed in 1800, which became a distinct body, Anderson's College Medical School (from 1913 the Anderson College of Medicine), in 1887. The College was absorbed by the University of Glasgow in 1947.
The building began as two L-plan ranges containing teaching rooms, a library and anatomy and surgery museums. Later additions were constructed within the 'L' to form a near rectangular-plan.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.
Other nearby listed buildings