History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

731 Great Western Road Bible Training Institute

A Category B Listed Building in Hillhead, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8776 / 55°52'39"N

Longitude: -4.2898 / 4°17'23"W

OS Eastings: 256849

OS Northings: 667304

OS Grid: NS568673

Mapcode National: GBR 0CD.HS

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.2JJJ

Entry Name: 731 Great Western Road Bible Training Institute

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 375918

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32872

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Hillhead

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

J J Stevenson (Campbell Douglas and Stevenson), 1862-3. Altered 1886 with installation of organ recess and 1902, additions 1929, Jeffrey Waddell. N Italianate Gothic church, snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Aisled nave, clerestorey, NW tower with spire. 3-sided apse at W with gabled porch between buttresses. Pointed arch with foliate capitals and columns. Blind arcading and paired windows above. Circular turret to right of apse.

TOWER: 5 stages, gabled columned porch at ground with set-back flat- headed door. Blind arcading to 2nd stage paired windows with hoodmoulds to 3rd, 3-light louvred belfry stage with plate tracery, tall pyramidal spire. Nave of 5 bays with buttressed aisles. Paired windows at ground floor with wheel windows to gallery over. Paired clerestorey windows set in panels. Eaves cornice. Slate roof with ridge-piece. Skew to E gable and cross to apex. Single storey and attic offices to NE corner.

Round-headed, recessed porch flanked by 2 windows, canted corbelled oriel to gable above. Slate roof.

INTERIOR: floored at gallery level. Galleried with upper arcade, stringcourse above stopped by heads. Relief memorial panel by A McF Shannan.

PORCH: arcaded E wall with sculpture war memorial (1914-18). Ribbed ceiling with sculpted boss. 2 sculpted busts of John Campbell, Lord Overtoun and Margaret Somerville by Derwent Wood, 1898.

Statement of Interest

Former Kelvinside Parish Church, Charles Wilson's plan for this church at SNMR. Lucarnes removed.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.