History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus Building D16, 1-17 (Inclusive Numbers) Lilybank Gardens Including Boundary Walls and Railings

A Category C Listed Building in Hillhead, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8751 / 55°52'30"N

Longitude: -4.2911 / 4°17'28"W

OS Eastings: 256755

OS Northings: 667027

OS Grid: NS567670

Mapcode National: GBR 0CF.6P

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.1LWG

Entry Name: University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus Building D16, 1-17 (Inclusive Numbers) Lilybank Gardens Including Boundary Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 15 January 1985

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376005

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32886

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Hillhead

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

John Cunningham, Lindsay and Benzie, A G Robertson, David Wylie, 1880-93. 17 houses remaining of a terrace (originally 20 houses). 5 similar styles of 2-storey, attic and basement houses. Yellow sandstone ashlar.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: NO 1: John Cunningham, 1883. 3 full storeys and tall basement corner block. Ashlar, droved to basement channelled to ground floor. Entrance in Great George Street, anta pillared portico with pierced parapet. 4-bay elevation, wider E bay, canted to 1st floor, cornices between floors, main dentilled cornice and blocking course continue into W 2-bay Lilybank Gardens elevations. Single bay with similar canted window. NOS 2-5: John Cunningham, 1880. 2-storey and attic (basements to Nos 2 and 3) 2-bay. Channelled to ground floor. Door at head of steps, narrow side lights, full-height canted bay, Mansard roof, dormers. NOS 6-9: A G Robertson, 1880. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay. Tall doors with elongated pilasters dividing from side lights, single windows above with Thomsonesque dwarf Ionic pilaster in 1/3 architraves. Full-height canted bay. Mansard roof, dormers. NOS 10-15: Lindsay and Benzie (Nos 10-13), 1881-83. 2-storey and attic, 2-bay, wide 2-leaf panelled doors, full-height canted bay. Mansard roof, dormers (1 arched). NOS 16-17: David Wylie, 1893. 2-storey and attic over basement. 2-bay S with double-leaf panelled door and 1 window, 2 windows in 1st, full-height canted bay to N. Mansard roof with 3 dormers, 2 small and arched.

INTERIORS: (Nos 4-7 seen 2010). Buildings are now interconnected, but numerous original details survive in each house including: room plans; elaborate decorative plasterwork; timber balustraded staircases; timber dado panelling; marble and timber fireplaces; glazed vestibule doors with etched or stained glass; stained glass upper sashes; timber paneled shutters.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate Mansard roofs with dormers.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: Boundary walls and entrance steps with decorative cast-iron railings.

Statement of Interest

Lilybank Terrace is a long terrace of high quality townhouses, dating from the late 1880s and retaining a number of exterior and interior details from this period. The development of terraced townhouses is characteristic of the second phase of residential development in the Hillhead area, following the earlier construction of large detached villas. The terrace is well detailed with a characteristic Classical design, including prominent canted bays. The interiors survive relatively unaltered, with good detailing including elaborate cornicing and some timber dado panelling, all of which are characteristic of this period of development.

Of interest as a long terrace of high-quality townhouses of the 1880s, retaining many interior features of the period.

The street was laid out by Waddell and Fletcher on the lower grounds of Lilybank House and set around a central garden. The W side of the terrace was demolished circa 1970 to make way for the University's Boyd Orr Building and later Geology Building (1980).

Formerly listed as '1-17 (Inclusive Nos) Lilybank Gardens, University of Glasgow'.

List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011. The building number is derived from the University of Glasgow Main Campus Map (2007), as published on the University's website www.gla.ac.uk.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.