This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8722 / 55°52'20"N
Longitude: -4.2882 / 4°17'17"W
OS Eastings: 256929
OS Northings: 666708
OS Grid: NS569667
Mapcode National: GBR 0CG.TQ
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.3N8M
Entry Name: University of Glasgow, Gilmorehill Campus, University Avenue, Gatepiers, Railings and Quincentenary Gates
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376107
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32915
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Hillhead
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Gatepiers and railings to University Avenue, A G Thomson, 1889; Quincentenary Gates, A Graham Henderson, 1952, with ironwork by Thomas Hadden & Co.. Coped boundary wall with cast-iron railings. Circular ashlar piers with banded rustication, conical heads with finials, diminutive niches in each direction at Pearce Lodge. Square-plan sandstone gatepiers to vehicular entrance with lower gatepiers and quadrant walls to flanking pedestrian entrances; decorative 2-leaf wrought-iron gates to vehicular entrance and single leaf gates to pedestrian entrances.
GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: arrow-headed cast-iron railings.
QUINCENTENARY GATES: gatepiers with dated caps ('1451' and '1951') and cast iron lion and unicorn finials; decorative wrought iron gates containing 30 escutcheons. Flanking pedestrian gates of similar design.
Gatepiers, Railings, Quincentenary Gates is part of an A-Group with McMillan Reading Room, Lord Kelvin's Sundial, Hunter Memorial, John McIntyre Building, Pearce Lodge, Thomson Building, James Watt Building and Gilbert Scott Buildings.
These are finely detailed and crafted boundary enclosures to the outstanding group of historic university buildings at Gilmorehill. The gates are characteristic of the high quality work by the prominent company of Thomas Hadden and Co. The design for the gates is richly detailed with an allegorical composition which reflects their erection as part of the celebration of the 500th anniversary of the university. The railings and gates also enclose an area of the university campus containing a number of other listed buildings, including Lord Kelvin's Sundial (see separate listing) to form a park like setting at the centre of the campus and within the context of surrounding buildings.
The Memorial Gates were presented by the General Council on 18th June 1952 in honour of 28 celebrated alumni from the first 500 years of the University, including Andrew Melville, Adam Smith, Lord Kelvin and James Watt. Two further escutcheons celebrating John Smith and Donald Dewar were added for the 550th anniversary of the University in 2001. The design symbolizes the growth of a tree over 500 years, with each 'fruit' representing the alumni.
Formerly listed as 'University Avenue, University of Glasgow, Gatepiers and Railings Quincentenary Gates'.
List description updated as part of review of the University of Glasgow Hillhead Campus, 2011.
Other nearby listed buildings