History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

38, 38a Bath Street and Sauchiehall Lane, Former Mechanics' Institute

A Category B Listed Building in Glasgow, Glasgow

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8639 / 55°51'50"N

Longitude: -4.255 / 4°15'17"W

OS Eastings: 258976

OS Northings: 665712

OS Grid: NS589657

Mapcode National: GBR 0LK.JP

Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MW11

Entry Name: 38, 38a Bath Street and Sauchiehall Lane, Former Mechanics' Institute

Listing Date: 15 December 1970

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 376230

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32965

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glasgow

County: Glasgow

Town: Glasgow

Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in
Maryhill

Description

James Salmon, sen., 1861, top storeys by Arthur Hamilton, circa 1910. 3 storeys and full basement, later double attic storeys, 5 bays. Painted ashlar channelled at ground floor and basement; snecked stone side elevation, droved ashlar rear; side and rear brick additions. Central projecting pedimented portico with coupled Roman Doric columns and pilasters on corniced plinths with full entablature. All windows casement with T-pane glazing on upper floors.

Ground floor broad pilasters between bays; plain entablature with mutule cornice. 1st floor continuous plinth pierced with balusters. Giant Ionic order rising through 1st and 2nd floors with recessed pilastrade on each floor, arched with keystone on 2nd floor; full entablature. Double attic with angle piers rising through both floors in advanced outer bays; projecting plinths, those flanking central bay supporting sculpted brackets; outer bays breaking forward, arched windows with keystones on 4th floor (1st floor of addition) entablature with balustrade in outer bays. 5th floor (2nd floor of addition) recessed eaves gallery in central bays with dwarf Doric semi-engaged colonnade, columns coupled in central bays. Broken segmental pediments with sculpted escutcheons in outer bays. Mutule cornice.

REAR ELEVATION: some 12-pane glazing on ground and 1st floors. 2 outer bays and single central bay of shallow canted bay windows with metal glazing bars, above 1st floor.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.