This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.865 / 55°51'54"N
Longitude: -4.2646 / 4°15'52"W
OS Eastings: 258375
OS Northings: 665856
OS Grid: NS583658
Mapcode National: GBR 0JK.L9
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.GVG5
Entry Name: 202-218 (Even Nos) Bath Street, 121 Douglas Street, Adelaide Place (North)
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Last Amended: 21 July 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376246
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32968
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Robert Black, 1839-1862. Block of terraced houses, 3-6-7-6-3
bays, 3 storeys and full basement with service entries; some
later attics. Painted ashlar with channelled ground floor. All
windows sash and case; some 4-pane glazing. Segmental-headed,
recessed windows with ashlar aprons to ground floor. Continuous
1st floor band and 2nd floor cill band. Eaves cornice, broken
in places, mutuled at pavilions and full pediment in centre.
ELEVATION TO BATH STREET: 2 3-bay end pavilions, 7-bay centre
block with shallow advanced outer bays and further advanced
central bays; giant order of Corinthian pilasters also in 1st
3 bays of returns to Pitt Street and Douglas Street. Greek
Doric porticos at pavilions triglyph frieze at No 218; other
doors plain with fanlights. 1st floor windows mainly corniced
with recessed pilaster architraves in main sections and dropped
to band course. Plain 3rd floor windows. No 216 partly demolished (2002).
Elevation to Douglas Street: 3-2 bays with 1st bay blind,
shopfront inserted and similar window arrangment to Bath Street elevation.
ELEVATION TO PITT STREET: 2-3-4 bays, 3-bay section to giant
pilastrade. Similar window arrangement but pilaster mullions.
Ridge stacks and 1 wallhead stack to Pitt Street. Slate roof.
Ashlar entrance steps. Cast-iron railings and gates on ashlar
cope. Some cast-iron lamp standards.
INTERIOR: No 218: includes columned hall screen.
No 202 begun 1839. No 216 reduced to ground floor and basement on 22 May 2002 because of dangers to its condition.
Other nearby listed buildings