This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8679 / 55°52'4"N
Longitude: -4.2665 / 4°15'59"W
OS Eastings: 258267
OS Northings: 666180
OS Grid: NS582661
Mapcode National: GBR 0JJ.68
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.FRKZ
Entry Name: 91-99 (Odd Nos) Buccleuch Street, 72, 74 Garnet Street and 41, 43 Garnethill Street, Former High School for Girls
Listing Date: 21 July 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376306
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB32989
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Main block James Thomson (Baird and Thomson), 1878. NE block
corner Buccleuch Street and Garnethill Street, W F McGibbon
1886, additions 1898, (lower linking block). School
MAIN BLOCK: 2 storeys with 3-storey central tower bay. 11
unequal bays arranged 1-4-1-4-1; symmetrical with wide
advanced pavilion bays. Polished ashlar. Casement windows with horizontal glazing bars. Projecting central portico with
coupled square Doric pillars framing keyblocked, arched
entrance, independent mutule cornice, parapet with inset
central decoration. Ground floor cill band, lugged architraved
windows, tripartite at ends, single light in central bays,
ground floor cornice. 1st floor windows single light in
central bays tripartite with anta mullions in outer bays,
moulded cills, plain aprons, similar with consoled to centre.
Bracketted cornice at centre and ends. Single stage bell
tower with coupled pilasters to front framing console
keyblocked arched bellcote; bracketted cornice; pierced die
parapet with obelisk finials. Piended roofs to pavilion.
Corniced end stacks. Skylights in central bays.
WESTERN ELEVATION TO GARNET STREET: 5 unequal bays
arranged 2-1-2; pilastered, arched entrance in 4th bay from
N; window arrangement as main elevation with tripartite
Squared coped droved ashlar boundary wall with corniced or
ball finial piers; cast-iron balusters.
2-storey janitor's house attached to E return; 2-light windows
with anta mullions, 2 on ground floor flanking plain window,
1 central 1st floor window on cill band.
NE BLOCK (1886): 2 storeys, attic, and basement. 6 x 3 bays.
Polished ashlar. Bays divided by bold pier buttresses surmounted
by scrolls and linked to blind parapet at 1st floor. Ground
floor continuous moulded cill band, cornice; 1st floor continuous moulded cill band, plain entablature eaves cornice, shallow
die parapet. Sash and case windows, 2-light basement windows
with lugged architraves and anta mullions; pedimented tripartite entrance at No 43 Garnethill Street; lugged architraves to
ground and 1st floor windows, single-light, 1st and 5th bays
from E tripartite on both upper floors. Pedimented, pilastered tripartite attic window in 1st bay from N, Garnethill Street
skylights; corniced end stack.
Coped boundary wall with ball finials and cast-iron balustrade
to Garnethill Street.
Built as Garnethill School, became Glasgow High School for Girls. Converted to housing late 1990s.
Other nearby listed buildings