This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.862 / 55°51'43"N
Longitude: -4.254 / 4°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 259032
OS Northings: 665500
OS Grid: NS590655
Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.RC
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MXJH
Entry Name: 163 Buchanan Street and Nelson Mandela Place, Former St George's Place, St George's Tron Parish Church (Church of Scotland)
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376322
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33003
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
William Stark, 1807. Classical, polished ashlar,
rectangular plan church with eastern main entrance and
3-bay eastern vestibule section facing Buchanan Street
with 4, giant, semi-engaged Doric columns; continuous
plinth. Central consoled, corniced entrance with similar
flanking windows; keyblocked lunette above entrance,
rectangular stairlights flanking; eaves cornice;
balustraded parapet in outer bays. Single bay N and S
returns with altered consoled, corniced entrances with
fanlights and recessed, arched keyblocked window above.
Droved ashlar, side elevations, slightly recessed with
basement and margin-glazed windows to ground and gallery
3-STAGE STEEPLE: 1st stage balustraded parapet, giant
square angle pilasters columns; arched belfrey openings
with louvres, plain entablature. 2nd stage balustraded
parapet, 4 octagonal angle piers surmounted by obelisks
flanking slender upper stage with arched louvred belfry
openings, plain entablature. 3rd stage scrolled angle
supports, clock, to each face, circular dwarf Doric
colonnade surmounted by obelisk.
REAR ELEVATION: 4 bays, blind outer bays; simple, gable
pediment with stack; 2 tall, narrow, round-headed
windows; low wing projecting from central bays.
INTERIOR: Galleried with slim cast-iron columns, flat
ceiling with shallow, transverse barrel vault under
gallery; circular marble pulpit.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Other nearby listed buildings