This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8626 / 55°51'45"N
Longitude: -4.2539 / 4°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 259037
OS Northings: 665562
OS Grid: NS590655
Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.R5
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MXJ1
Entry Name: 179 Buchanan Street, Former Athenaeum Theatre
Listing Date: 6 July 1966
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376323
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33004
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Sir J J Burnet and J A Campbell, 1891-3. Eclectic with Renaissance detail, pioneer vertical (elevator) building. 5 storeys and basement, 3 main bays. Ashlar, channelled at ground floor, metal window frames. Narrow gabled northern stair tower. Broad doorway with mannerist
window above. 1st floor canted balustraded balcony; above full-height (interrupted by small pedimented window) thin pilaster strips between clasping octagonal piers, rising to small turret; irregular fenestration; some steps between pilaster strips; cornice; octagonal
"Tower of the Winds" cupola.
Gabled section to S, 2 windows to ground floor. Giant arched central recess rising from 1st to 4th floor; 2nd and 3rd floor windows canted, 1st and 2nd set into metal frames, 3rd floor stone window, corbelled with central aediculed window, balcony above; octagonal piers at outer ends of balcony supporting seated sculpted figures. 4th floor window set under wide, keystoned arch, aedicule with sculpted figure in niche at gable apex; turret at southern angle similar to that of stair tower.
INTERIOR: squat-columned theatre interior survives, including seating, simple proscenium. Wrought-iron lift shaft.
An important work by the celebrated architects J J Burnet and J A Campbell, the former Athenaeum Theatre was built in 1891-3. The Dictionary of Scottish Architects notes that this was a pioneering 'elevator' style building where height made the most of the narrow Glasgow plot.
It was purpose-built to train drama students and contained a theatre, billiard room, dining room and gymnasium.
References from previous list description: B Oct 21 1893. Doak (ed) 1977 No 126. D Walker in A Service (ed), 'Edwardian Architecture and its origins 1975'. S R Archives, D of G 1/1072
Gomme and Walker, 1968 pp 204-5, 210, 255.
List description updated as part of the Theatres Thematic Study 2010.
Other nearby listed buildings