This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8641 / 55°51'50"N
Longitude: -4.2533 / 4°15'11"W
OS Eastings: 259082
OS Northings: 665729
OS Grid: NS590657
Mapcode National: GBR 0LK.WM
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MVVW
Entry Name: 249 Buchanan Street and 1-7 (Odd Nos) Sauchiehall Street "Cleland Testimonial Building"
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376325
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33006
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
D and J Hamilton, 1835-36. 4-storey, classical, ashlar building on corner site with modern shops at ground floor. All windows sash and case, mainly 4-pane glazing in architraves. Continuous ground floor dentil band forming 1st floor cill band; 3rd floor moulded cill band; eaves cornice, parapet, raised in centre and outer bays. 3-bay recessed semi-circular corner section flanked by giant 3-storey pilasters, wallhead panel and crested parapet overthrow inscribed "The Cleland Testimonial" and surmounted by sculpture.
Elevation to Buchanan Street: 7 bays arranged 1-5-1 with central bays breaking forward; outer bays single lights with 6-pane vertical glazing, console corniced at 1st, consoled block pedimented at 2nd floor and plain aprons, dropped cills at 3rd floor; full-height pilaster at S.
4 bays to Sauchiehall Street repeating Buchanan Street design.
Elevation to East Bath Lane: 3 single-light windows; 2 2-light windows with timber mullions.
Commercial development behind retained facade (1999)
Other nearby listed buildings