This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8639 / 55°51'50"N
Longitude: -4.2673 / 4°16'2"W
OS Eastings: 258205
OS Northings: 665736
OS Grid: NS582657
Mapcode National: GBR 0JK.1P
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.FW61
Entry Name: 120, Elmbank Street with 71-83 (Odd Nos) Holland Street and Lodges, 59, 61 Holland Street, Gates and Retaining Walls
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376368
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33022
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Main block, Charles Wilson, 1846. Italian Renaissance. 2
storeys, 11 bays; later attic. Ashlar, channelled central
piers and quoins. 4 central projecting piers supporting standing
figure sculptures by John Mossman of Homer, Cicero, Galileo,
and Watt, circa 1880. Arched central doorway and flanking
windows with sculpted responds and spandrels. Deep plinth with
v-joints to panels below ground floor cill band. Sash and case
windows with decorative glazing bars; ground floor windows
roundheaded with block surrounds; 1st floor windows on ground
floor entablature; arched with panelled spandrels, cornices.
Main entablature; consoled cornice, dentil band.
Triumphal arches with channelled piers link central block to
4-bay wings, McLure 1875 and 1887 (S wing dated), similarly
detailed to main block.
71-83 HOLLAND STREET: J L Cowan, completed 1897. 2-storey,
7-bay block with entrance bay and 2 additional western bays.
Ashlar, channelled at ground floor, rusticated quoins. Entrances
in outer bays breaking through ground floor entablature with
channelled voussoirs, corniced. Segmentally headed ground floor
windows. 1st floor windows casements in arched recesses with
panelled spandrels, corniced. Modillion cornice above. Blank
linking bay with oculus above entrance at No 71 Holland Street.
2 Gibbs surround windows at 1st floor in southern bays; 1st
floor cornice, parapet.
SCIENCE BLOCK: John Watson (Watson, Salmond, and Gray) 1931-32. Classical 3-storeys, 8 bays to Elmbank Street. Ashlar,
channelled at ground floor. Giant pilasters rising from 1st to
2nd floor. Ground floor 2-light windows, recessed with marginal
glazing. Entablature; piended slate roof. Linked to northern
wing by paired, pilastered triumphal arch.
LODGES, HOLLAND STREET: Watson, Salmond and Gray, 1938. French Renaissance. Pair of single storey and attic lodges, pedimented
full dormers. Channelled piers with urns flank entrances with
Gibbs surrounds, Quadrant screen walls swept to meet retaining
wall. Central wrought-iron gateway with elaborate overthrow.
Rear elevation: tripartite, pilastered basement refuge with
surrounding architrave. 2 3-light windows; 3 dormers.
Rusticated retaining walls with ashlar, segmental headed piers, cast-iron balusters. Imperial ashlar staircase with die walls
to Elmbank Street.
Formerly Glasgow Academy, became Glasgow High School, now
Strathclyde Regional Council.
Upgraded B to A 21.7.88
Other nearby listed buildings