This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.858 / 55°51'28"N
Longitude: -4.2575 / 4°15'26"W
OS Eastings: 258798
OS Northings: 665056
OS Grid: NS587650
Mapcode National: GBR 0LM.1T
Mapcode Global: WH3P8.K1V1
Entry Name: 18-22 (Even Nos) Jamaica Street
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376454
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33063
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1860. Classical 5-storey commercial building with Grand Central Cinema inserted from basement to second floor, 1914-16, by William B Whitie floor, 7 bays. Iron framed; polished ashlar facing. Plain Ionic glazed pilastrade at 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors; later keyblocked arched window with panelled spandrels and sculpted frieze at 1st floor centre; panelled bays above with altered cast-iron balconies in front. All windows casement with glazing bars. 14-light arched pilastrade at 4th floor. Plain frieze, modillion cornice.
The conversion of warehouse premises to the Grand Central Cinema seated 750. After closure in 1966, the cinema remained empty until 1973 when it re-opened as the smaller (seating 365) Classic Grand. The name changed in 1985 to the Cannon Grand, and again to the Curzon before closure in 1992. The Cinema Theatre Association note that the building was subsequently used as an amusement arcade and nightclub, and was damaged by fire in 2001 but the cinema area is once again in use as the venue the Classic Grand. They also understand that the original ceiling and the upper part of the proscenium arch are extant.
References and Notes updated as part of the Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings