This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8617 / 55°51'42"N
Longitude: -4.2541 / 4°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 259024
OS Northings: 665465
OS Grid: NS590654
Mapcode National: GBR 0LL.QH
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.MXGQ
Entry Name: 63-77 (Odd Nos) Nelson Mandela Place, West George Street with 153-159 (Odd Nos) Buchanan Street, Former Glasgow Stock Exchange
Listing Date: 15 December 1970
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376501
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33089
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
John Burnet 1875-7; Sir J J Burnet western addition 1894-8 and 1904, re-cast behind the facade. 3 and 4-storey commercial building with modern shops at ground floor. Venetian Gothic. 4 x 9 bays, original block 4 x 5 bays, 4-bay W addition arranged 3-1. Polished ashlar with deep geometric 1st floor frieze.
Corner 4 x 5 bay E block arranged 1-3 and 4-1: boldly arcaded ground and 1st floor with stylised columns and corner pilasters, sculpted roundels in spandrels, bipartite windows in tympana; 2nd floor continuous fenestration behind arcade with sculpted colonnettes, panels in blank frieze above, figure sculpture to N and E at NE corner; advanced entrance bays to W and S, corbel arched balcony with sculpted figure stops at SE entrance, single column supporting corbelled table at NW. Continuous elaborately bracketted cornice; parapet, pierced before windows, 3 bipartite, arched dormers with finials to Buchanan Street, 1 to Nelson Mandela Place, larger dormers with balconies in front over entrance bays, coped gable with finial, 2 bipartite windows with circular window over to NE bay.
Slate roofs of varying heights and pitch.
W BAYS TO NELSON MANDELA PLACE: tall arcade in 1st 3 E bays with slim colonnettes rising through 1st and 2nd floor, geometric frieze, bracketted cornice. 3 window single W outer bay, arcaded 1st floor with coupled colonnettes, slim colonnettes; segmental heads rising through 2nd and 3rd floor, corbelled balcony to 4th floor before aedicule window with tracery as NE block. Narrow additional W bay with similar detailing, corbelled balcony to 1st floor window.
Formerly St George's Place.
Other nearby listed buildings