This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.8657 / 55°51'56"N
Longitude: -4.2612 / 4°15'40"W
OS Eastings: 258590
OS Northings: 665927
OS Grid: NS585659
Mapcode National: GBR 0KK.81
Mapcode Global: WH3P2.JT2N
Entry Name: 12 Rose Street, Glasgow Film Theatre
Listing Date: 21 July 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 376550
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB33118
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Anderston/City/Yorkhill
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
W J Anderson II (John MacKissack and Son), 1938-9. Multi-level brick cinema with glazed brick plinth and door surroundson steeply falling ground. 3 x 3 main bays. Stepped tower over southern entrance bay.
Elevation to Rose Street: bays divided by narrow vertical strips in insets; higher section curving upwards simple glazed brick cornices.
Elevation to Renfrew Street: low entrance bays with narrow windows, tiled surrounds in outer bays; thin pilaster strip in centre; central part breaking forward, corniced; higher recessed section with blind eaves gallery, glazed tile mullions.
In May 1939 this building opened as the Cosmo Cinema, the first purpose-built 'art house' cinema to open outside of London. It was designed as the flagship for the Singleton chain (which included the Kingsway, Mecca and Riddrie cinemas in Glasgow). With 850 seats, this was James McKissack's final design before his death. See the Cinema Theatre Association website for more information on the history and development of this cinema. It remains in use as a cinema today (2008).
References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings